[matilda] Proposal: fundraiser

Benjamin Major complexitybenjamin at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:41:31 BST 2005

Hello,

Some of you might be aware that in December I am heading off to the middle
east for six weeks. Three of these weeks will be spent at a children's
village for orphans in the southern Jordan town of Aqaba. For the remainder
of the time I will be travelling first through Egypt (that's before I get to
Jordan) and then finally into Palestine where I hope to visit other projects
that assist people with their great struggles in adversity to the oppressive
systems they have to live within, including projects run by the
International Young Palestinians League IYPL.

I would very much like to have a small fundraiser in order to be able to
give a donation to grassroots projects that look like they are doing
fantastic work in the area and giving people the chance to freely express
themselves and participate with the self determination that we are lucky to
have in Matilda. I'm not proposing an all night techno party. All I would
like is an evening, perhaps a regular social evening, given a middle eastern
flavour. I will cook falafels, there will be a chance to sit around with
some nagilas (or whatever you want to call them) and a good game of
backgammon. A film showing, storytelling, a couple of DJ's playing till
about 12, bellydancers... this kind of thing. It will be an oppertunity also
to invite around some of Sheffield's Palestine Solidarity community. Buy in
some Palestinian beer from the Olive Co-op in Manchester + lots and lots of
tea (again, this is not a proposal for an all night party as I would like it
to be the kind of evening I might be happy to bring my little nephew and
niece too).

Any thoughts?

Love, Ben.