[matilda] Party Time!!!!

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:22:39 BST 2005

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you for your sublime contribution.

A couple of questions -

1. Have you ever actually been to Matilda?

2. What fantastic things are you doing to change the world - except
for criticizing everyone else for failing to change it?

This mailing list is definitely a pain in the arse sometimes. But the
list isn't everything that happens at Matilda - it's just somewhere
where the more long-winded of us thrash out our sometimes very tedious
arguments. Judging what Matilda achieves by these emails is a bit like
measuring the output of a factory by the conversations that go on in
the canteen.

Frankly, it would be weird for anyone not actively involved in the
social centre to want to be on this mailing list, so I think it's wise
of you to unsubscribe.

Your remarks are a reminder that we waste too much energy on silly
inward-focused arguments. But as for being ridiculous - Kathleen,
human beings are ridiculous. Never moreso than when we're being
pompous. (And I should know!) If your political theory is in denial
about the basic ridiculousness of human beings, you'll always end up
lashing out at them. If you haven't much power, that will just make
you look ridiculous too. If you had a lot of power, with the same
attitude, it would probably make you genocidal.

D.

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD