[matilda] Creche/Playgroup was Re: Doug the man and atw

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Wed Oct 26 14:29:34 BST 2005

> atw> Maybe we could organise a creche, or kids room or .... ???
>

> Amparo> Er... this issue was already raised by Chris among others.
> Amparo> Trouble from bureaucrats, again, likely to surface.
> Amparo> We might have the space but not yet completely safe for kids unless
> Amparo> permanently under parents' supervision...
>
> atw writes:
> Yeah, well I think supervision would be necessary - and possibly fun
> too. But if shared amongst parents and others then overall people
> would get more time off parenting - esp. good for single parents.
>
> Also I don't think we have bureaucrats but admittedly consensus
> decision making is slow and a pain sometimes. But unless someone can
> suggest anything better....

Think the bureaucrats point was about regulation of creche space i.e.

"Anyone who provides day care for other people's children (day or night) for
more than 2 hours in any day must be registered with the Office for
Standards in Education (Ofsted)."

Also anyone who looks after kids needs to have a Police Background Check
which costs a fair bit afaik.

For these reasons any formal creche facility would be difficult to set up,
tho' for big events a kids space should be possible to arrange, for example
it was done for peace in the park.

Jason