[matilda] reply to ben and some thoughts....

dan thomas audiotino at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 20:21:19 GMT 2005

Hello,
Not many people have replied to Ben here, so I thought
I would add my thoughts and ideas, they are intended
to be positive, constructive and not aimed at
individuals, I hope they are taken in that spirit.

As usual Ben in his beautiful and eloquent writing
style has touched on some important issues, which I
think some people around Matilda are perhaps wary on
discussing and acting on or maybe don’t have the
resources. Before I introduce my suggestions, I’d like
to say I think Matilda is turning into quite a special
place and I for one have got a lot out of it and
hopefully will have contributed something back, (eg
film night,). The age range of participants is unique
and generally the tolerance and understanding of
others and how we resolve issues and concerns is a
credit to its members. The café is a wonderful asset
and one of our jewels, The Art05 exhibition was
fantastic and it will I’m sure bring in new members to
matilda,  so well done to all  involved

However, even with all these good things, for me, it’s
just that as with all things it could be even better,
so these are my thoughts. First, I think there should
be a warm welcome for people like Kathleen however
angry she gets about us: some one with her passionate
views who like many, (including some in Matilda) are
clearly struggling in day to day life would imo
benefit greatly from involvement in Matilda: not
having to cook one or two nights a week, coming along
to relaxing craft evenings, hopefully some kind of
crèche in the future. Yes, even with her passion,
encouraging people into campaigning on issues that are
occurring right on their doorstep, ‘boring and
un-sexy’ issues like poverty, housing, welfare,
domestic violence, perhaps even attempting to stop the
crisis that means young men in Sheffield are ending
their lives so tragically and abruptly. If we don’t
then the following might provide a salutary warning

http://www.irr.org.uk/2005/october/ak000035.html

To this end, a question we should be asking is not
just what is Matilda and what it stands for, but who
is it is for? While we are making some positive steps
to open up with the craft evening, Art05, the MA
course filmmakers, film-nights, etc, I think we are
somewhat inward looking, we have to look even more
outwards to the wider Sheffield community: that
doesn’t just mean party/gig people, but others not so
quite fortunate. The new Social Center in Leeds(see
below) has recognized this and is offering a number of
facilities to the public, thus their computer room is
offering lessons in basic computer skills to anyone
who comes down. They are also offering bike workshops
and appear to have a non- political library games and
even toys, etc. A number of Matilda people have
suggested DJ workshops, great , but for us? there will
obviously be limited places, why not offer them to
young kids who live up the road from Matilda.? Our aim
should be to be inclusive as possible, that may
involve taking some risks, inviting people in who may
not look like, be like  ‘us’. They may not know what
the latest music trends are, but they certainly
understand that being part of a wider community is a
good thing and may want to avail themselves of our
facilities. Sometime though, it’s also the little
things that can make a difference: While acknowledging
the recent history of the building, perhaps we should
make the outside of matilda, more welcome and
inviting, remove some of the banners and replace them
with colourful, inspiring and welcoming ones, paint
the main doors, (murals?) and make a welcome sign and
replace the broken bell. Disabled access is another
area we should examine: I’m sure some of the more
active disabled groups would welcome using our space
for meetings. I would also suggest that with the
winter coming closer, that the issue of heating is
addressed so that those who are not.100% fit and able
are as comfortable and as relaxed as those who are.

I’m very conscious that it easy to make these
suggestions, if the person suggesting them is not
going to carry them out, but of course we all help in
our own ways. I look forward to making my own
contributions

Hanover Square Squatted Social Centre
the hanover squares | 20.10.2005 15:55 | Leeds
Bradford
Hanover Square is a squatted social centre near Leeds
City Centre.

Welcome...

We are a part residential, part public squatted social
centre near Leeds city centre. We've been around for a
while, but never done a formal indymedia post about
our existance, better late than never eh...

We have a number of resources you are free to use, and
we welcome any ideas on how else we can use the space!

Library opening days

This is our first attempt at public open days, it's be
lovely to see some people...

Come and browse our large selection of books, films,
computer games, board games and toys. Unlike most
libraries, we don't have return dates and cards; take
things for as long as you want and bring them back
when you're done so other people can use them.

Everything we have has been donated to us; feel free
to clean our your cupboard and bring anything you
don't want any more.

The library will be open on Monday the 24th of
October, and then every Monday after that.

Dinner will be served around 7, the library will be
open for browsing from 5-8.

Got a group you would like to to a benefit for? Come
down and talk to us, or email
hanoversquare at riseup.net

Some of the resources we have at the moment...

Art Space, with plenty of art materials, a sewing
machine and a typewriter. We are also working on a
darkroom.
Band Room, with a drum kit and PA
Computer room, we are working on free public internet
access (ready for November?)
Large events room, we have just held a very successful
film festival in here, and it's suitable for any event
up to about 50 people

Smaller events room, suitable for small film showings,
or just crashing out...
Healing space, feel free to come and heal others,
offer your services, or share some skills
4 kitchens, in various working order for doing large
catering.

We also have plenty of free rooms, and we would
encourage groups to get involved and use them how they
like.

Contact for everything:   hanoversquare at riseup.net. Or
pop in and see us at 3