[matilda] Matilda is live!

Benjamin Major complexitybenjamin at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:30:46 GMT 2005

Wow, I cannot remember such a positive day of e-mails on the Matilda list.
Thank you for the comments that have been made about my e-mail by the way-
it's sentiments had been gathering in my head for quite a while before I
finally was in the frame of mind to write it down- I knew I had to be very
careful with I how I used my own personal experiences to make links to
Matilda and it's future direction, and I hope it came across in the right
way, and most definately not as a 'stick to beat people with'. I am glad to
get some responce.

I have entered into the Matilda collective having no presupposed assumptions
about what other people have or haven't done before hand, or what kind of
life has led them to this point. In a sense it doesn't matter because
setting up a social centre is something probably none of us have done before
so everyone is learning off of each other now. I am well aware that some
people have had more experience in activism then myself; that some people
who more politcally / philosophically / sociologically literate then myself;
I am above all confident that everyone who is part of it is committed to
creating to something which is much bigger, and has much wider scope to
change things, then any of could by ourselves.

As long as we remain open and accessible then I hope that DT's vision of an
inclusive Matilda will grow organically of it's own accord. We can take one
step at a time. An example- on Thursday evening at the opening of Art 05 I
had the absolute pleasure of showing a couple around the space for the first
time- they seemed genuinally and pleasantly suprised and excited by the
place. Both of them worked with kids with behavioural problems, and they
reacted very positively to the notion of doing workshops here at some time
in the future; they were very sympathetic to what we do here. By spreading
our network to sympathetic people like these. People who are too busy to
take up full activism in Sheffield because they have a very tough job, in
this case in social work, but who see the value of what we do at Matilda, of
whom there are probably hundreds, then it will lead ultimately to inviting
in the wider groups of people whom DT, and I, would like to see involved in
Matilda.

It has to work in this slow, organic way really- It would be extremely
difficult for us just to put on a DJing workshop next week and invite all
the kids from the Manor to join in- I mean how many amongst have the skills
and capacities to carry this out at present. But our network, our
figuration, is increasing steadily and having a physical space is definately
helping this to happen.

I am happily embracing capitalism this week by going to the Plug, one of our
newest neighbours, not once but twice this week (to see Four-Tet and Jamie
Liddel) so will be present on neither Monday or Thursday! But I will return
to form, and hopefully not with a craving for expensive drinks and fancy
chrome-fitted bars, nxt week. (should I have admitted that?)

And yes, let's get that welcome sign done. Perhaps next Sunday at the craft
evening, through into Monday ? I'll think of some ideas for it.

Benjamin.