[matilda] facilitation: please read this

rhubarb tartlet rhubarbtartlet at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 01:16:18 BST 2005

Apart from whether we have a facilitator for mondays
meeeting, which i don't know if we had but Lesley
mentioned the other night she'd be up for it, i wanted
to say a few words about it (sorry its a bit long but
i think its worth reaching the end (personally!!))...

The role of the facilitator is very important in a
large meeting if it is going to be a positive and
productive experience.

To FACILITATE the people in the meeting to do this
(have a positive and constructive/productive
meeting)involves a number of things.

That includes not having a strong opinion about the
matter/ being neutral (if possible), and also to keep
the group (not necessarily too vaguely!)to the
structure and process that the group has agreed for
the meeting; but other thigs aswell...

Keeping it focussed
keeping an eye on and 'regulating flow of discussion'
so that people talking to much will be limited and
those not at all may be drawn out,
To clarify and summarise points being made,
To test for concensus and formalise decisions,
To help the group deal with conflict.

It is not the same as a chair (man!!) and it's a skill
that can be developed by all of us, although i don't
think it is an easy role to play well(thats not to say
its massively difficult either!).

Most of the description above is drawn from resources
created by Seeds for Change, 'a not for profit
training co op helping people organise for action and
positive social change'.

One of their members came to sheffield recently and
ran a workshop about facilitation. I think i can speak
for all of us who attended in saying it was useful and
inspiring and would encourage further workshops for
more people (which seeds for change will happily run
for us free/for travel costs).

I think it would be really helpful to us as a group to
 be more informed about concensus decision making,
what it is, and how it works well.

All the Seeds for Change resources are available on
their website: www.seedsforchange.org.uk
in the section 'free training and workshops for
independent grass roots groups'.

I will bring some printed copies to the next meeting.
Hope that will provide some food for thought!

see y'all monday

ruth
xxxx