[matilda] my feedback from facilitating

R&A robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 16:15:03 BST 2005

Hi dudes,

This is my twopence of feedback as cofacilitator with Jase for last
meeting. Not meant to be understood as raising sensitive issues
--perhaps not raised before for good reason. And raising now a question
of gender & equality may not seem adequate. Yet...

1) Acting as facilitator makes you feel more empathy towards the others'
endeavours and paths. Well at least one manages to learn their proper names!
2) A facilitator is automatically placed as an outsider by the nature of
their role, it follows that "gaps and redundancies" between different
persons' abilities and projects (human resources) are seen more clearly
through facilitating.

3) Facilitating is an excellent tool also to become more involved with
any collective. Facilitation is also an inclusion tool from this
perspective. The opportunity to facilitate should be regularly granted
to other persons.

4) Not to be understood as "male domination" or any other nonsense
(since there's harmony) don't you think we should avoid the tendency
(due to sheer force of numbers) to have more meetings-seminars-workshops
  facilitated  by males. Then perhaps we could consider the possibility
of a fixed quota. (eg 25% for women's facilitation). A woman may find it
more difficult to express her own views or even speak in public and feel
less intimidated if another woman is acting as facilitator (and does not
skip her for being another woman).

Apologies if too much musing above, and take care.
Amp