[matilda] Re: Comrade Temp - Accomodation !

cuthbert at riseup.net cuthbert at riseup.net
Sat Sep 17 12:48:51 BST 2005

  Whether or not someone can stay at matilda is not about legal questions
or if someone is going to contribute to matilda while they stay there.
The reason many people (myself included) do not agree that someone
should be able to live* at matilda is because from other experiences
people have learned that the people living in squatted social
centres/cafe`s end up dominating and the needs of the space and the
collective can  be compromised too much due to the needs of the
individuals living there.
  We have seen that the LTT has been given special privileges and power
because he lives (and works) there on a day-to-day basis, this can be
dealt with because it is one selfless individual that we all know well
who is 100% dedicated to the needs of the space.  With someone else,
someone we dont know very well, someone who sees matilda as a squat**
and someone who may need other support/help it is easy to see how this
estimated one month stay could turn into 2, 3 or 4.  If james has cut
his ties to milton keynes to move to sheffield and has not been able to
find somewhere to live after one month, at what point will the matilda
collective kick him out?
  Furthermore, if we allow james to stay that sets a precedent, other
people in the group have had housing problems in the past and may have
housing problems in the future.  Should we let them stay?

  However i am not sure if james was even asking for accomodation at
matilda, i think he may have been asking if there are individuals
involved in the matilda project if they could provide him with somewhere
to live whil he looks for somewhere permanent.

  I personally think that the most important thing for us to do is to not
promise anything that we arent going to deliver on.  I dont want things
to end up like they have done the last couple of times james has come up
where people have looked after him because they were the only people
around.

from
cuthbert

*When i say live i do not mean someone that crashes over night but someone
who eats, sleeps and conducts their daily buissness from matilda.

**From what i gather matilda is not a squat as it is not classified as a
squat and there is still a sitting tenant