[matilda] 4 proposals: 1 - matilda seminars

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Wed Sep 21 23:46:33 BST 2005

Allo again,

Proposal one:

MATILDA seminars for change, or
MATILDA teach-ins
(or any other good name that someone can offer.)

Aim:

* A regular session, either weekly or fortnightly, with the underlying
co-operative principle of 'teach what you know, learn what you don't'. (Taken
from Access Space - thanks to them.)

* The over-riding theme to be: "How can we change the world?"

* I propose two focuses, probably alternating:

1. Ideas and thinkers: someone comes along with a particular idea / set of ideas
/ philosophy, presenting it in whatever way they want, and then opening up to
discussion.

2. History and places: obviously connects to the above, but coming along and
presenting a particular historical moment, or talking about a place, where
change happened or is happening.  What happened? What worked? What failed?

(These can obviously look at some of the most contentious historical moments in
revolutionary and left-wing history, and can go as far back as anyone wants -
when farming started, for example!)

Now, I want this group to be absolutely as supportive of anyone who may not
currently be comfortable with presenting.  If you feel like you might want to
do this, please feel the fear and do it anyway!  Everybody else in the group is
bound to being supportive of trying.  I'm crap at presenting - I actually have
a stammer.  It's mostly under control these days, but definitely re-surfaces
when in presenty mode!

So if I'll have a go, anyone can.

Equally, experienced and confident ideas folk should come too - as long as they
are self-aware.  The group dynamic, and ground rules for that, will be a vital
part of the sessions.  We'll regularly check on how people are feeling, how
they're developing, and whether they feel unable to contribute because of
negative dynamics.

One dynamic I have seen repeated again and again at uni is a tutor's lack of
sensitivity to silence.  Some people - usually women in the seminar groups -
default to silence.  Blokes get all ranty and fond of their own voice.  So the
gender aspect is also key.

It would also be good to put the seminars together into a WIKI format - creating
an ongoing series of investigations into the question of political change.  How
can change come about? Is violent revolution the only way? Can we change the
world without taking power?  Has a global network of activists really changed
the chances for change on a global scale?

And of course there's a whole series of questions that come out from our 'what
is MATILDA' process.  Talking about what direct action means could itself be
hugely useful.  We can brainstorm onto big paper, and the results, digitally
photo'd, can go straight up on the WIKI.

So: proposals for topics please.  And for general questions.  I'll start a WIKI
page.  Then we can think about a start date.

more coming...

love

Dan