Formal hacklab sessions, was: Re: [matilda] Coupla agenda items...

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Mon Sep 26 17:00:32 BST 2005

Hi

On Mon 26-Sep-2005 at 04:29:48PM +0100, dan at aktivix.org
wrote:

> I've stuck a couple more agenda items up - one on
> preparing a workshop programme for the coming months.
> (I've proposed three, Gavin's got some, the Hacklab
> should have some too... enough for a glossy brochure!)

At the last Hacklab get together we came to the consensus
that we are not going to organise formal sessions, we will
advertise when it's open (Thursday 6pm ish till late at
the moment) and people can come along and we will help
them do whatever they want to try to do, if we want...

The exception to this is the idea of a Saturday install
fest -- we were thinking of setting a date and advertising
this one...

  Install refers to installation, as in software operating
  system installation. Fest refers to festival, as in
  enjoying and celebrating one's time with others. Install
  Fest would then mean, to share one's time with others in
  celebration of installing free software onto computers.

  Most, if not all, install fests revolve around
  installing Free Software onto computers. Typically, it
  is a gathering of both computer-savvy users who know the
  value and importance of Free Software as well as novice
  computer users who wish to enter the world of Free
  Software.

  Traditionally, these events have been organized and
  sponsored by an area linux user group or a university.
  Normally, an install fest lasts at least four hours, if
  not an entire day.

  Typically, install fests are accompanied by pizza and
  soft drink.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Install_fest

See also: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installfest-HOWTO/

Chris

PS I guess we will need to ask the Cafe collective about
   pizza and brewing some opencola ;-)

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World