[matilda] re: minutes /c90/ ticketing and fixed event prices

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:02:35 BST 2005

Sorry - the way I wrote the minutes of this bit lacked clarity. (Twas
the end of a long day...)

The major issue that was raised (by someone with knowledge of Health &
Safety regulations) was that if there is any proof we were "selling
tickets" as opposed to "suggesting a donation", this has major legal
implications.

Ordinarily [as I understand it], people enter the building at their
own "volition" - they share the risk for whatever happens to them
inside. But if they've been sold a ticket, "volition" is no longer
taken into account - they become a customer with rights, while all the
responsibility for safety, etc, lies with us.

The second concern is that if we are selling tickets for events we are
going to be perceived as in direct competition with the two clubs in
the vicinity. They pay huge amounts of money to the council for
licenses to run club nights and won't be amused by us doing it and not
having to pay anything.

In general, the council are likely to have a live and let live
approach to Matilda for the time being - but not if they've got
nightclub owners demanding that they close us down.

Also, nightclub owners have been known to use more unorthodox methods
to deal with (perceived) competitors...

It's important that we don't fuck C90 over. So we need to get clear
very quickly how the event can go ahead while minimising the risk of
it fucking Matilda up.

One question - is it true (as someone suggested last night) that
tickets for the C90 night are being sold through ticket agents?

D.

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD