Fwd: Re: [matilda] re: minutes /c90/ ticketing and fixed event prices

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Sep 27 13:05:10 BST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Anthony Mullen <ant_mullen at yahoo.com> -
----
For my 2 peneth worth

I think there are two points Gav makes here:

1/ It is unfair to change at short notice and might
cost C90

--- gavin at cyber-rights.net wrote:

> the c90 gig was already approved, and they've
> already gone ahead
> with this stuff, so we're basically going to shaft
> them a bit if we
> say the tickets they've printed up can't be used.
>
> The idea of interfering with setting a fixed charge
> is also unfair
> to them. They're putting up a lot of money and we're
> telling them
> that they aren't gauranteed an income on the door to
> cover their
> (for this gig, VERY high) costs. That doesn't seem
> fair, and would
> discourage me personally from putting on an event.

On this 1st point.  I think we should be very aware of
not screwing people around.  However, I don't feel
that all the fault would be from the Matilda
collective.  From looking on the C90.org website this
event is being promoted as just any other club night
(tickets are on sale from 4 outlets in the city).
There is nothing to explain what MATILDA is or
anything other than the venue address.  Basically this
will be a nightclub night, running in competition with
liscesned nights.  MATILDA will be acting as nightclub
and if thats how the authorities view it, then they
will be right.  The stuff about liability, if
accurate, is very important.  A major concern is that
if we backtrack it may deter people from putting on
events.  I personally feel events should only be put
on by collectives / groups / people who have a feel
for what MATILDA is, and I am very doubtful this is
the case this time.  So if crossed wires confuses
people, maybe we should only host events were
communication is clear.  I think people who know C90
(and preferably the people who introduced them to
MATILDA should sit down with them and explain the
problems and discuss the situation very soon.

Gav's second point:

2/ We should have some sort of fixed pricing system

> I wouldn't want
> to exclude people, but just letting some people in
> free/on donation
> is unsustainable for MATILDA and for promoters, once
> word got
> around that's how we were doing it. Drawing the line
> between who
> can't pay would also be tricky and cause resentment
> on the part of
> people who paid more. I think a discount for
> unemployed is as fair
> as we can be whilst still being financially
> sustainable.

The second point relates to fixed price ticketing.  We
are trying to change the world. Yes, No.  If you
charge a fixed price you perpetuate the producer /
consumer reality that dominates our lives.  For me the
idea of asking people for donations can fundamently
change the relationship between people coming into the
space and with the event and with MATILDA.  If you
just say £5 and stamp someones hand, then its like
going to any corporate event.  What about having no
price advice - bear with me:
People will come to the desk and say 'how much is it
in ' - the person on the door says how much do you
think you should pay.  A dialogue is entered into,
which in many cases will cover the grounds, of the
costs of the building, the financial situation of the
guest, what a comaparable night somewhere else might
cost, the politics of MATILDA, the reason for the
benefit gig (if it is one), and possibly many more
which don't spring to mind now.  Also the guest may
well realise that you are doing the door for love not
money and get an insight into the DIY ethic you are
trying to promote.  I have done this selectievly on
doors many times and it is rewarding.  People are
challeneged to think rather than just consume.  You
haggle and no-one is ripped off.  It is also often
pleasently surprising how much people will donate when
given the choice, treated like an adult / equal and
told the politics behind the space / event / campaign.
 The event may make a little less money but
politically, socially and every other sensible way of
measuring success it will probably be much stonger for
it.  Everyone who wants to will come in (you may find
out someone is a destitue asylum seeker with no income
or that someone is really loaded and would like to
financilly support events in the future).  There
should be no resentment because everyone will have
been involved in setting their own price.

O.K. In the spirit: thats probably a quids worth.

love, hugs, rage and recovery
 a partied out Rocky