[matilda] Re: c90/ ticketing and fixed event prices

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Tue Sep 27 18:27:29 BST 2005

Okay,

No one has responded to this, and got sidetracked with calling each
other names. So..

We need to sort something out, as c90 need to have time to promote
the event. Time is working against us here, unfortunately. I'm
going to say that the door will be done the same way it was done
for the lost film fest, which I put on and which nobody has ever
raised any objections to. There will be no tickets in advance and
it will be pay on the door. There will be a concessionary price
slightly lower than the usual price.

Hopefully this resolves things to at least the partial satisfaction
of everyone, in the most straightforward way I can think of at
short notice. If people aren't happy with this, then all we can do
from here is that, learning from this, they can propose a meeting
to amend the 'guidelines for putting on an event' that's on the
wiki, and add a door pricing policy to it:

https://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Events_blueprint

Also, just so you know, C90 did make their own alternative
proposal:

That they accept losing some money, about £300, and we run the
door, and the bar, as we please to fit our ideals. We then give
them a guarantee of £700. This is fairer, in that it means we take
the risk for our ideals, and avoids the problem of misleading them
about how things should be organised.

I as an individual am financially unable and unwilling to do this,
and I think agreeing it beyond that as a collective would mean
taking it to Monday's meeting. This would leave c90 without enough
time to promote the event to make sure we actually covered those
costs. So although it's a pretty good suggestion, with the current
timeframe I think this isn't a workable solution, unfortunately.

xxx