[matilda] Re: members only events (was Re: c90/ ticketing and fixed event prices)

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 12:04:47 BST 2005

dougald> I imagine there will be two concerns:

dougald> 1. The idea of having 'members' makes Matilda seem exclusive

Not if anyone can join (except police say).

dougald> 2. The idea that people have to give name and address on arriving,
dougald> writing it somewhere that might even be shown to the police, is likely
dougald> to alarm people

Well I don't think going to a music night is going to go on anyone's
record - its hardly illegal. I doubt the police would have the right
to copy the list anyway. And if people are really paranoid they can
always give a false name and address.

I also suggest we collect email addresses to let people know about
future events too. Email is such a cheap and easy way to publicise
events.

dougald> That said, we do need to think seriously about using this as a way to
dougald> organise events.

dougald> If we go on the way we have done, it'll be the parties that get us
dougald> closed down a lot sooner than we would otherwise have been.

dougald> Should we put this on the agenda for Monday? (Not as applying
dougald> to the C90 event, which has already been messed about more
dougald> than enough, but for events beyond that.)

I would apply it to the C90 event. It's not a big deal and anyone who
goes out regularly knows the score. This is common practice in a lot
of places inc workingmens clubs etc.

I _think_ if the event is public then the police can come in as they
like. If its private they can't. I suspect most people would feel
safer somewhere where the cops are not allowed in.

The reason they didn't get in last time was because they arrived after
the doors closed.

"Private Members Clubs do not need to have a Public Entertainment
Licence unless on occasions through the year they are open to the
public."

http://www.nfdc.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=4134

The long running anarchist centre, the 1 in 12 in Bradford, is run as
a "private members club owned and run by its members."

http://www.1in12.go-legend.net/faq.htm

cheers,

steve