[matilda] art space update

Amparo P Gutierrez amparo2yo at telefonica.net
Fri Apr 14 11:12:07 BST 2006

OK Then, dear colleagues,

As a member of the art collective and the M... gallery i would like to
know what happens to my proposal, and i will let you understand that i
am also interested in the submission guidelines and the selection
process. I mean, who makes the decisions ? About who is making an
exhibition in the ARt gallery, for instance, or any other important
decisions.

>> ALSO....the next exhibition in M..gallery opens on the Wednesday 26th
>> April 7-9. Artists Patrick and Dave create beautiful, organic type wall
>> paintings (hard to explain but really very good). There are 5 more
>> exhibitions booked...i'll keep you all updated

My complaint, and my view, is that it is contrary to the Matilda spirit
that these things are not carried out in a collective and democratic
way. My complaint again is that meetings (intra collective) meetings ARE
necessary to discuss for instance matters brought up to the inter
collectives big meeting every fortnight. I was going to print from the
Minutes of last agenda the matters pending to be considered by the
collectives, at least this is what i understood from all previous
speeches and meetings leading to the new situation.

Again, how can a person represent the art collective in these meetings
when there are no meetings of the art collective? Nonsense.

I understand that all this has been due to the COLD the WEATHER not been
suitable up to now

But now please dear Sara, Jezz, Pip and Dan and Krache, let's think
seriously and without drugs as you say, what are we doing about it?

SECOND COMPLAINT and ugly one: now that the common art space top floor
was cleaned up (with a thorough ethical and ethnical cleansing i must
admit), some kitchen equipment which was my propery has disappeared.
Funny so much care with others valuable equipment, ... Then myself (i am
working as Sarah said on the studio 2, the smallest place upstairs,
chosen by myself because it's the smallest) was helping to build the M.
gallery but Sarah doesn't seem to remember that my contribution must
have been at least a 15% or 10% of the total work involved. Perhaps
nobody told her and you know i was the silent type.

Cheers anyway, I am very happy to work with other people in a collective
friendly environment, provided there is some mutual respect.

Amparo

> Quick question: is there space for people who want to do one-off or
> intermitent work? I'd like to have a go at making a stencil at some
> point. Could anyone offer a little corner somewhere?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> sarah hughes wrote:
>> Hello all.
>> Thought i'd send a short update of whats happening in the art spaces in
>> Matilda
>>
>> Good news!! all the studios are know being used (by artists),
>> Studio 1 houses Peep who works with kinetic sculpture, also has a studio
>> at bloc space and makes a damn good coffee,
>> Studio 2 houses Amp who paints vibrant painting, both on board and also
>> works on wall spaces, Studio 3 houses Kaloche who makes lights (i think)
>> Studio 4 houses Steve (i've not met steve but i'm sure he's lovely... he
>> paints monkeys)
>> studio 5 (formely the common space) now houses Dan who is Pheglm comics,
>> he's going to be using the room to work on large boards, same aesthetic
>> as the comics. Studio 5 leads to the fire exit but don't woory, Dan
>> doesn't want to lock the door
>>
>> ALSO....the next exhibition in M..gallery opens on the Wednesday 26th
>> April 7-9. Artists Patrick and Dave create beautiful, organic type wall
>> paintings (hard to explain but really very good). There are 5 more
>> exhibitions booked...i'll keep you all updated
>> Any proposals for M...gallery should be sent to mgallery at hotmail.com
>> we can send you curatorial statement and
>> proposal guidelines as well. Will be sorting out the web-pages for the
>> gallery as soon as we know how!!!
>> My short note was a little longer than i had anticipated, sorry about that.
>> Keep working hard and don't take drugs, take care....Sarah xxx

>> Be one of the first to try the Windows Live™ Messenger beta!

PS: free your mind, smoke the weed.