[matilda] gig report

Joe Public iloveavocado at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:00:36 BST 2006

Hullo All,

Been a bit slack writing up the last few gigs; I'm sure you've all been
chewing your keyboards in anticipation. But I'm here now, take it out of
your mouth.

Firstly, it was a real shame to lose the c90 night last Friday. The gig was
moved because of circumstances beyond the control of either the gig
collective or the c90 fellas, which aren't really up for discussion on the
list, so it'd be appreciated if this was something that was kept off the
list and in the real world. That said, I'd reiterate that there was no
disagreement between us and c90, and we're well looking forward to working
with them again because they're so funking nice, goddammit.

Secondly, this statement is untrue:

"Events like c90 are what Matilda should be about for myself there is too
much punk"

There is not too much punk, there's lots and that's great. If you want there
to be more of everything, sort it out. It's not about there being too much
of anything - put on more bass, or indie, or post rooibos-core or
experimental performance gurning if there's not enough of it, instead of
doing down those who're active already. That is all.

Right, SCENE REPORT PEOPLE

***film showing***

The showing of 'Edge Of Quarrel' was really well attended considering it was
the 5th night in a row of events after the all-weekend punks picnic and a
gig on Monday. Some familiar faces were absent, mostly cowering in bed after
a weekend of Buckfast, but there were also new people there and a couple of
people who'd travelled over from Manchester! We'd been pessimistic about
numbers because of the 4 day punk bender that had preceded, but we found
ourselves fetching more chairs and I reckon there were 50 people there. We
cooked food too and cake. Mmm, caaake.

The film was ace, of course, and it was nice to be able to use our PA for
the sound. Especially because we could watch videos of people bodypopping
before everyone came, with the sound up and the image the size of the wall.

***I Adapt***

This was last night and alot of fun. I arrived at 1030 but still caught 3
bands - hooray for punk timekeeping. I Adapt are Icelandic and some of them
are involved with the anti-dam campaign. Hasty but awesome plans were made
for an international band to form out of protestors this summer,
provisionally titled Dental Dam - I can tell you already that we'll be
amazing. Got a contact email for the band and entirely plan on catching some
Icelandic punk this summer. I Adapt were ace, although I think I like Chief
the best out of the 3 I saw. Chief in particular were really excited about
the space, and are keen to play here again when they tour in July- it's dead
nice to see bands so enthusiastic about the Matilda gig space, as well as
the people watching.

There were plenty of people there last night, including some from out of
town who moshed hilariously down the front. I didn't see evidence of any
cake anywhere which I'm extremely sorry about, and I promise to work to make
sure that there is never again a cakeless gig at Matilda. There was a folk
punk distro though, which pretty much made up for it.

Right, that's all from the last week. We've got a quietish few weeks ahead
of us (only a gig a week I think), but you should endeavour to catch Dog
Canute, who're playing with Silent Front on the 7th of May. They're loud but
you'll want to dance to them - what more could you ask for?

ta