[matilda] Keeping The Peace:

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Sat Feb 11 20:26:18 GMT 2006

Quoting worldwarfree at riseup.net:

> Sometime next week those who are http://pretentiousartist.com/ aim to move
> into the art space top floor of Matilda ie set up a couple of computers
> for us and the rest of the art collective to use this freeing the media
> lab for other people..

ok ..  you mentioned taking some pcs from the hacklab...

1.  you should probably bang this through the hack lab list and check its kosher
first. - doubtless .. but there is etiquette -

2.  if - when - you get assent from hacklab.. We've been trying to push the best
PC's out from the hacklab to the other spaces .. eg. - cafe .. meeting space -

There is a Pentium III  700 mhz (maybe 933mhz) chip, +heatsink,  + suitable case
and mother board  in the hacklab.  The mother board will take up to 512 mb ram
- there should be some ram chips there too-  If we can get a disk and
powersupply a member of the art collective could build it.

3.  there is also a epson gt5500 scsi scanner and suitable scsi card and cable.
this is well supported in linux.  you could set up a scanner server and share
the scanner amongst any network pc.

i'm presuming that the art collective will be interested in scanning and digital
imaging ?

4.  there may also be a suitable printer.

5.  you'll want some network there too.  there is an hp switch with 6  100 base
t ports.  you could run a cable down to the meeting space, and patch in there.

regards,

aed
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily