[matilda] Proposal for workshop(s)

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Feb 17 13:58:47 GMT 2006

Allo

Yeah, was sad to miss AED's fud.  Food, I mean. Fear, uncertainty and
doubt is something different. Although I confess to having fud about
AED's food, so I'm glad it all turned out well...

0742: Sadly, copying and pasting huge chunks of text from wikipedia
doesn't count as an argument - and it certainly doesn't mean that you've
demonstrated to anyone that you understand anything except CRTL+C /
CTRL+V.  But thanks for the link.

To turn this into something positive, mind, I have a proposal.

I've been thinking about doing some sessions on how we go about actually
changing the world.  How that gets done does start by how we think its
structured - are there classes? Are they 'istorical forces wot need only
a well-honed revolutionary cadre of swappies to lead the way?  Or does
class not exist any more, the world being made up only of a vast
ecosystem of groupings, understood only by market researchers?

It comes to mind now coz I'm working with a new guy who comes from a
tradition of collectivism - and the power of the collective, whether
through unions or parties.

A lot of current thinking about social change is based on the fact that
lefty thinkers (y'know, those useful bookish types who dreamed up class
in the first place) had to come up with new ideas for how revolution
could come about, now that the working class as a united force was no
more. (An arguable point...)

One answer: we don't need collectivism - all we need is a
self-organised, world-wide movement of 'one no n many yeses': the social
justice mirror of the decentralised economic system yer average leftie
wants rid of.

But does that mean that all us autonomistas are just leftie variants of
thatcher's children? In rejecting collective action in favour of
'swarming', have we capitulated?  Do we need to bring class and class
power back in?  Is this, in fact, class war?

Ha! Some arguments there - and we should do em in workshops!

So - anyone wanna meet up to plan some workshops on this stuff?

p.s. I've had a slightly better track record of actually starting things
I say I'm going to recently! Both the affordable space group and the
Voice / "Speak up" are actually happening, shock horror!  So maybe we
can do this too...

p.s. First Speak up is next Wednesday if anyone wants to come - reminder:

http://www.alacsy.org.uk/images/voice4webjpg.jpg

See ya

Dan
---