[matilda] A very silly ground rule

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 10:20:44 GMT 2006

worldwarfree> The following rules were agreed at the 25
worldwarfree> July Matilda meeting and amanded
worldwarfree> at the 8th August Matilda meeting:

worldwarfree>    1. No non-consensual violence

Why the f*&k does this rule have the words 'non-consensual' in it?

I missed the meeting where this was decided but I can only assume this
was in case we want to set up a boxing ring or have judo classes at
some point.

In such case it should say no 'unauthorised' violence.

As it stands it means if a fight breaks out in Matilda, two very angry
people hurling themselves across a room, smashing into stuff, and
completely destroying the peaceful atmophere for everyone else we
can't break it up until we first find out whether they actually want
to fight each other. And if they do then we're to leave them to it.
Great.

As written this is surely the daftest ground rule we have.

If two (or more people) are intent on having a fight in Matilda then
they should be kicked out. Obvious innit.

Or maybe they should seek permission, first by email and then in
person at one of the Monday meetings via one of the collectives.

steve

PS. As for bans etc. there were already some objections and I thought
we'd decided to go for mediation etc. rather than punishment.

Here were a couple of emails I wrote on this in December...

http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/matilda/2005-December/001500.html
http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/matilda/2005-December/001512.html