[matilda] Where is MOZAZ?

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Mon Jun 26 23:03:08 BST 2006

Greetings to all from Malta,

Mozaz ain't here, for sure. Far too middle class for him. Awesome.

Hope its been going OK there.  I'd love to say my thoughts were with you, but
sadly I've been mostly snorkelling above beautiful corral, and all payed for by
the EU tax payer. Hah! (Not really. Well, the snorkelling bit's true, as well
as the EU taxpayer bit, but I have been reading up about MATILDA on
Indymedia!)

I just wrote a ranty e-mail about Mozaz' post, then remembered that he's being
an arsehole, and deleted it and had a laugh at myself for taking it seriously.
Phew.

I went to a detention centre today in Malta: the first place people end up
who've risked their lives on boats from Libya, coming from all over Africa.
They know, when they get on that boat with 20 to 50 others (with no skipper, no
compass) that they stand maybe a 50/50 chance of getting somewhere alive.
Imagine: what fear would drive you to take such a risk: knowing when you leave
the shore that your life rests on the flip of a coin?  I can't imagine.

Next to the detention centre is the place they get when they're 'free'.  We met
some today, after being shooed off by police.  They'd just been freed after a
year in detention. No training, no grounds to play in, nothing.  Just baking
rooms, barbed wire fences, full of other young lads, TVs, and a few books.
Just kids - they were 17, 18.

One I spoke to said "a year - poof!" Just gone; he's not getting that back.

Their 'freedom' consists of either old army tents, currently in temperatures up
to 38 C, or a delapidated technical college, 45 to 50 to a room, no sanitation,
no healthcare, no future.  This is in the EU.  Tee hee.

They are technically free: all the negative freedom you could want.  It's just
that they can't do anything but survive, and hope.

Eek, well, what was my point: nuffin really - just writing to y'all coz I'm away
and missing you all.

Be happy dudes, n lets have a party,

love

Dan