[matilda] A Working Class Revolution (part one)

worldwarfree at riseup.net worldwarfree at riseup.net
Tue Jun 27 11:38:49 BST 2006

The class system is the injustice at the heart of British, and especially
English, society. It is the system that I hate with a passion, and one
that has crushed countless millions of people throughout contemporary
history and even my own family, parents, grandparents and, if I am honest,
me too. That I detest the unfairness and injustice of this system with
every fibre of my being, I cannot state enough. So many millions of people
even today, in the 21st century, are still suffering in one form or
another, because in the eyes of greater society they are not worthy; not
good enough for polite society. Not deemed of any value. Surplus to
requirements. Third rate. Passed over for some kid with more privileged
status and a silver spoon in the mouth. The detrimental effect this has
had on British society is impossible to calculate. The scale of sheer
injustice, and, to be frank, evil, is breathtaking, and no essay of any
kind could fully do it justice. I am one voice in a sea of voices after
all. Few people in British society have ever looked at the class system
full on, without blinkers of one kind or another, or waxing sentimentally,
or in the briefest glances. It is something that by its very nature is
painful to many of us, even those who have benefited unjustly because of
this most unjust of structures. Because I believe that not only has the
system in Britain robbed millions of a full life, it has also crippled
those, who promoted the injustice and evil, into lives of half-truths,
double standards, and lives built on every kind of base corruption,
shoddiness and cowardice. But I am not here to write about the moneyed and
well off, the socially perfect and correctly spoken, I am here to write
about those left out of the wealth, those left out of the good jobs and
opportunities, those like me born at the bottom of the hierarchy, and to
all intents and purposes, meant to stay there.

Class is such an emotive issue, and it is true that if a middle class
person meets a working class person, there will very likely be a sense of
angst and uncertainty on both sides; the animosities, though well buried,
would not take long to rise to the surface. And in Britain certainly,
there is a tendency for people, as groups of all kinds, and most
definitely class groups, to polarise against each other, in many ways and
for many reasons. A working class person, seeing what he or she thinks are
middle class effete tendencies, may particularly become harder and less
genteel to counter what he or she thinks are base middle class values. A
middle class person, seeing what he or she thinks are base working class
values, whatever they may be, might very well have a tendency to shun
these things. And of course, there is then a general national tendency to
despise what you don't understand, to what you find distasteful, and so
on. Of such is the British class system, in highly oversimplified form.
Class in Britain goes far deeper than this; in real terms, it could be
said to be about groups who are related in their similar life chances, job
opportunities, levels of education, access to all the good, or bad, things
in life and better, or worse, opportunities in general. Working class
people will find that many doors to them are closed, because they lack a
decent education, a 'decent' accent, they live in an inner city or council
estate or poor neighbourhood, that they come from poor backgrounds of some
kind, and so on. Much of this might be inferred, some of it is spoken
about, and a lot of it is internalised over the course of a person's life,
and in society in general. A working class person will definitely for the
most part internalise negative values, a belief that he or she should keep
their head down, accept their lot, and hope one day to be lucky. This is
how I felt for chunks of my life. I don't feel this way anymore, nor do I
believe that any person has to accept anything in life they do not wish
to. It is about understanding negatives, and it is more importantly
understanding positives in life. If we as working class people allow other
more privileged types to an unchallenged position in all areas of life, we
can't complain when they do just that, maintain a privileged, and of
course increasingly unjust, position. If, on the other hand, as we hold
out for better lives ourselves, better jobs, better educations, better
housing and better all round lifestyles, whilst at the same challenging
unjust privilege of all kinds, we make our own very immediate environments
more just and more fairer. It isn't about hating and despising, we can
leave that to our so-called betters and superiors, it is about finding a
liveable and workable reality for working class people, that enables us
personally and as groups of people of all kinds to have better lives, for
ourselves, our families and friends, and our children to come. It is that
simple.

I speak for myself when I write this, and at the same time as someone who
is highly educated, well read, literate, cultured and so on, but for many
years I have always felt out of sorts, and that sooner or later someone
would find me out and send me back to the craphole I grew up in. I have
done well for myself in some ways, getting the aforementioned degree at
university and, at this time of writing, a reasonable job as a journalist,
and someone who likes to pursue hobbies of various kinds; not bad for a
kid who grew up in a Liverpool slum! But, as with all happy-ever-after
stories, I have had hard times and bad times too. I have often felt
inferior to other people, at times this has overwhelmed me and made me
feel less and smaller than other people. It is not something I can
quantify, or explain or understand easily, and best left as a simple
explanation; that at times I feel less than other people. I believe a
large part of this is because of the British class system, and the
nonsensical way British people have related to each other as groups and
individuals for about the last 200 years or so. Is this what we want as a
nation, what we demand for ourselves, and the next generation after us? It
is not what I want for myself, or any member of my family anyway. It is up
to each reader to think about this for themselves. At any rate, I have
often felt inferior compared to other people. It has skewed my
relationships, friendships, family relationships and how I felt about
myself over the many years of my life. Today, I feel better and stronger.
On a national scale, these type of feelings create vast waves of anxiety,
animosity, crime, injustice, indifference, and vast gulfs between those
who have, often in plenty, and those who have very little of anything at
all. This is the core of all the class injustice, the vastly unequal
resource distribution.

It is not just that there are poor people, and people who are richer, it
is the philosophy that often follows such inequalities, philosophies that,
more often than not, justify and even promote base and rank injustice,
division and unfairness. Why does our Head of State, the Queen, who has a
private fortune of hundreds of millions of pounds, get millions more each
year from taxpayers, whilst millions of ordinary workers make do on a
fraction of this, and all the while working hard and paying taxes? It is
what I call the 'philosophy of insanity', and it is the philosophy that
underpins much of the unequal relations that still exist in the British
Isles at this time, circa mid-2004. A philosophy that allows rich people
to prosper, even when they already have everything they need and more
anyway, whilst denying a basic standard of living to many more British
citizens. Unless, and until, this 'philosophy of insanity' is tackled, and
tackled head on, and it is brought into the public forum, we will continue
to live in an unjust society, and an unjust world. I don't accept of
course that any human society, or any human relationship of any kind, at
this time will ever be perfect in entirety, but it is up to us who want
and wish to change society to do so; if we can't change it, we can write
about, if we can't write about, we can debate it, and if we can't change
the whole world, or even Britain, we can change ourselves, and our
attitudes to privilege and a fairer democracy for all. It is understanding
this, that the individual is important, that change does and will happen,
for you and me. Why shouldn't a working class kid from the wrong side of
the tracks get on, make a better life and have money for once? It is
learning to be positive, when all around might be negative, that better
life chances spring out of the air. We of course have to reach out for
them, and help others less fortunate to do the same.

Justice; justice is a big word, and an idea that cuts through everything,
that cleans everything, and makes fairness and tolerance where there might
be no such things. Justice for working class people, for people like you
and me, is and has been in very short supply. When we demand justice, for
ourselves, our families, friends and cherish justice as a higher form of
society, I believe that we go in the right direction. Justice is where it
is at; where there is justice, there will be harmony, peace, friendship,
where there is a lack of justice there will be indifference, hatred,
oppression and a lack of any good will of any kind. Normal people cry out
for justice all over the world! Then we should hold justice to our hearts,
demand it for the whole world, and not least for ourselves. It is in just
relationships, be that marriage, friendships, an office, or even on the
street, that humans can fire on all cylinders and be the best that all
their capabilities and ambitions allow. It is in a ready justice that we
can all stand on the same ground, demand a better life for one and all,
and make Britain, even the world, a better place to live in. The mere
notion of justice itself drives away corruption, unfairness and non-level
playing fields of every kind. Justice is the ideal that all people should
live up to, and the ideal and reality we should want for ourselves, and
the people around us. For justice, we need to be just. To be just, we need
to accept that we are on a level playing field, and that what is truly
good for one, is generally good for others too.

When working class people dream, when little people dream, the whole world
sits up and takes notice. It is not the ambitions of the rich and pampered
elites that have really ever shaped the world, it is always the hungry,
the impoverished, the slum dweller, the forgotten who shape the world and
give society impetus and focus. Throughout history, contemporary history
and today, this has often been the case. When you and I dream, and when we
want to make our lives better, and have what the rich and powerful and the
pampered take for granted, we change the world, and we change ourselves
too. This is an important point. Why shouldn't you have a better
education, a better job, a good business, a nice house? Why shouldn't you
dream, have ambition, believe that good things can happen to you? They
can, and they will, if you are prepared to dream, work towards the goals
you want, and look at life in the long-term. Nothing happens overnight,
but takes time and a change in attitudes, life goals, outlook and personal
ambitions. Even the very idea of your dreams taking shape and hold in the
real world is in itself for many working class people a revelation,
something that I think many working class people do not do or do not
believe is possible for them. It is possible, but it takes time to shape a
good character and a winning mindset from a mindset and lifestyle that
might be used to negative realities and situations of many different
kinds. It is a revelation, and a revolution in thought processes that
shapes the world we live in. Thinking alone will not bring about change,
but thought and action combined can bring about the results everyone
desires. Everything built, written, made, cooked and so much more besides
is after all merely the result of someone's idea at some time or other.
So, the world revolves on thought processes. For a working class person,
sometimes the only thing you may have are wonderful ideas, and dreams of a
better life. What starts in the head, can take shape in reality. It is
holding onto the dream, and pursing it that make dreams worthwhile.

As working class people, we have a latent energy that generally is
underdeveloped and underused, an energy that often comes out negatively or
destructively in some way, to the detriment of that person, or others
around them. It is understanding this very potent force, this nervous
energy, and harnessing it to our better advantage, that any person can
make a better life for themselves. To waste such enormous potential, such
enormous energy, is to waste one's talents, dreams and goals and to muddy
the path that we can all find if we look hard enough. It is accentuating
the positive, and downplaying the negative. It is being magnanimous in
success, and matter-of-fact in defeat. It is always being open minded to a
better life, and resilient in finding that better life. It is using that
powerful energy for positive results, and making our own lives and the
people around us better, happier and more productive. It is moving on from
such passing systems as class, racism, and injustice of very kind, and
finding a better place spiritually, emotionally, economically and the
place very much where you wish to be. Of such is the reality of the
enormous human potential each of us has at our fingertips, assuming we
make use of it. When working class people unleash this energy, it is an
energy that is unstoppable, and properly controlled and directed, can take
the lowest person to the highest place and the best outcome. It is this
that I myself labour under at this time, and this idea that nourishes me
and gives me hope.

Working class people are naturally and obviously more democratic and
egalitarian in nature. It is something I have known, about myself and
working class people in general, for a long time. Those born without
inherited wealth or privilege of any kind seem, in most cases at least, to
believe almost instinctively in social justice, democracy, egalitarianism
and equal relations of every kind. It is strange in fact why working class
people are attacked so, when these beliefs come to most working class
people almost by default. They are good beliefs, they make the most sense,
are the basic tenets of many religions, including of course Christianity,
and to all people in the world are the values that each individual wants
for him or herself and family, friends and the like. They are
self-evident, need no real explanation, and the world over craves them;
where they are, in nations and societies, people desire them the more,
where they are not, in military juntas and tyrannies, people desire them,
cry out for them and have revolutions to acquire them! They are, by all
accounts, highly desirable virtues. And because there is and has been, a
societal enmity towards working class people, working class culture,
working class ideology and values, it goes without saying that values such
as equality, social justice, egalitarianism and a more fair and equal
society are dismissed and often also held in contempt. Do you see what I
am trying to say? That a society based on genuine working class values,
not in some hippy-dippy, or Communist, or even political way, but a
heartfelt and honest way, would be a society that promoted justice and
equality as a matter of course. This would involve a fairer wage system, a
fairer tax system that took into account people's ability to pay, a less
centralised and more localised bureaucracy, more accountability from our
public servants, a nationalised public transport system to name but a few
important things. The knock-on effect of such just and fair policies,
though taking a while to adapt to, would make Britain healthier
economically and socially, and would make Britain a nation more genuinely
at ease with itself. We would be, in almost all senses of the word,
citizens of a free nation and not subjects of a once great country but now
living on past glories. I know which I would choose given the chance. And
I know what many other British people would choose too given the same
chance. It is what many of us have only ever half-dared to dream. Class
and prejudice harks back to a bygone age of unspeakable divisions of all
kinds, that, for the most part, have thankfully been eclipsed or
forgotten. It is living on past glories, or looking to build a better
tomorrow for us all. The choice, I believe, is yours and mine.

The injustice of vastly unequal resource distributions is at the heart of
the real problem with the class system, in fact any system which is based
on some form of unfair difference, be that class, racism, religious
differences, language and culture differences, chauvinism and so on. The
wealth distribution in the world is so badly out of tilt, that even in the
wealthy parts of the world, like Britain, America, Continental Western
Europe, there is much poverty and lack of opportunity, even when we are
surrounded all the time by the trappings of wealth. Class, racism and so
on, justify the divisions, give them a form of credibility, the mark of
respectability even, to what is, frankly after all, base and unjust
division. The 'philosophy of insanity' as I mentioned before, allows those
who already have more than they might possibly spend in a thousand
lifetimes, to accumulate more wealth, pay less tax and be engaged in the
pursuit of accumulation for its own sake, even at the price of health,
family relationships and their own genuine quality of life. On the other
hand, those in the world who have very little, and lack any real
opportunities to get on, are hindered from even having in many cases a
normal and adequate standard of living. This seems accepted without
question all over the world, and it is certainly accepted in Britain, with
few if any noticeable qualms. It is, if we were being completely and
utterly honest, insane; insane policy for an insane world. How do we
challenge injustice as working class people, as ordinary people who might
not have any social power of any kind, or create any real ideas how to do
this? We challenge it by debating it, bringing it into public and
political arenas, by challenging the often cosy middle class conceptions
that poverty in the world is just about big corporation greed, and those
at the very top of the tree. We challenge it by looking at the divisions
between middle class and working class lifestyles, and the vast gulfs
between the job expectancies, life chances and general all round
opportunities between middle class people and working class people. We
challenge it by looking seriously and honestly at those people, who,
claiming to be on the side of justice, are not really on that side at all.
We challenge it by looking at so-called left wing parties and groups, and
really wondering whether groups full of usually moneyed middle class
politicos really want anything to change at all, and whether much of what
passes for left politics in Britain, are people either on a guilt trip, or
those playing at being rebels until their career begins to take shape. No
one should resent anyone else trying to get on, we all want a better life,
but a little honesty, a little working class realism into the mix might do
all of us a little more good. It is for to us to challenge injustice
wherever it is, and to hold out for better lives ourselves. The bell tolls
for you and me as well, not just posh rich people. It is for working class
people to challenge all the prejudices that surround class, even when
everything seems to be against that. Challenge racism, challenge
chauvinism and challenge the British class system, and challenge those who
defiantly refuse to debate it until they accept that class is as much an
injustice as any other bigoted and small minded and nonsensical prejudice.
It is the prejudice in Britain that dare not speak its name, it is the
prejudice that is, time and time again, brushed under the carpet, and the
prejudice that, incredibly enough, is rarely mentioned even in equal
opportunity statements and equal rights charters and organisations! Is
this not an incredible state of affairs, that the very prejudice, the very
small-minded prejudice that still shapes Britain's social, economic,
political and even religious spheres, is conveniently airbrushed from the
picture? It is to me, and to many more people too. We have allowed people
to speak for us, been silent for far too long. We have allowed class
prejudice to fester, without challenging it, and without challenging the
people who benefit from it, and the people who pretend it is not an issue.
If you are working class, it is an issue every day of your life.

More top jobs, more power, and more opportunities must be made available
to working class people, who should at all times challenge the notion that
certain jobs and lifestyles are available only to those who already come
from privileged backgrounds. The idea that because someone comes from a
wealthy background, an already privileged background, and then gets a top
job merely because of this, is an absurdity and a serious setback to
democracy in a modern first world country. Surely, to spread the wealth
around, and to ensure a healthy democracy, a more democratic and
meritocratic society is needed, and certainly whatever those in privileged
positions may believe, working class people desire and demand a fairer job
market, and a bigger slice of the pie. We should also look at the role of
charity too, and ask why it is often moneyed and middle class people who
get the plum jobs in these organisations, and more often than not, it is
poor working class people who have to stand on the street corners rattling
tins in people's faces as volunteers. We should challenge this obscene
reality, and understand that charity's absolute role is to take from the
haves and redistribute to the have-nots, starting with giving poor and
working class people some key jobs in these very self same charities. A
working class person should think hard about keeping those who already
have comfy lifestyles, in those lifestyles, while working class people the
length and breadth of Britain struggle to get jobs paying just over
minimum wage. Perhaps it is better to buy a 'Big Issue' on the street, and
give directly to those, but I am not advocating a revolution, only a
revolution in thought. When we challenge hypocrisy and injustice, wherever
it is and in whatever form it takes, we then see how rotten and corrupt
such injustice is, and that what is usually held together by such
injustice and corruption is, after all, easy to challenge. Fight injustice
with justice. It is an irresistible force. Working class people should
challenge society's hypocrisy and double-standards on very personal and
local levels, and also in general and more global terms. A working class
person should hold out for a better job and a better life and not accept
that someone, whatever their social status, has any more right than anyone
else to simply get a job or a better life before you. Challenge this
notion in your own life, and you will find a better life whilst changing
the world too. We have nothing to lose but our chains!

A democratic society, one where the best person gets the job regardless of
their social background, will see a society where people are held
accountable, sportspeople begin to win instead of nice middle class boys
and girls losing everything all the time, and a more fairer, tolerant
society that is genuinely more at ease with itself. The injustice of the
class system makes victims of us all, and allows evil and intolerance to
go unchecked. A fairer society will to a large extent, put right the
wrongs and injustices that have been allowed, and historically were
allowed, to go on in Britain. If we challenge racism, then we have to
challenge all forms of prejudice, be that economic, social, geographic and
wherever it is found in the British Isles. So many of us have been duped,
duped into accepting second and third best, duped into remaining silent
and duped into thinking we are only fit to keep our heads down and let
someone else have a better lifestyle. It is when a person challenges
injustice, deeply unfair injustice, that society slowly but sooner than
later changes for the better. We should challenge hypocrisy wherever we
see it, and speak out against it, eloquently and honestly. We should
challenge the very notion of a class system that allows some people to own
vast amounts of wealth, and others to struggle and scrimp and save just to
make ends meet. We can promote fairness, and believe in equality rigidly
and egalitarianism rigidly and demand fair wages, fair prices for the
businesses we work in or want to own ourselves, and safe streets for the
areas and places we live in. With a sense of equality come notions of
justice, and with justice comes the notion of fair play. It will be the
working classes, not the 'enlightened' and liberal middle classes and
wealthy and out-of-touch upper classes, who will make the world fairer,
safer, more equal and more just. We are grounded in such notions, whereas
those who practise hypocrisy and all sorts of double standards know within
themselves that their actions are hypocritical, that their standards are
false and without real conviction. We have the courage of our convictions,
and if we are genuine about a fairer and more just world, false standards
of all kinds will be washed away, and more fairness and justice will enter
the world. If one in one thousand rich or powerful or wealthy people sees
the justice in equality and a fairer economic system, that is one person
we have won over. We can work with the people who wish to work with us,
and around the people who don't wish to work with us. But this isn't about
the great and the good, the comfy and the privileged, let them write their
own manifestos if they can work their way through the lies, half-truths
and double standards many of them are mired in. This is about the
so-called ordinary people, the people who more often than not do hard and
boring jobs for low pay.

Importantly, if people want to attack and tackle any justice, they must
talk about it, openly debate it, write about it!!!! No more hush-hush or
brushed under the carpet, in talking and writing and debating about the
class system we bring it into a public forum. In challenging injustice and
intolerance in our very own lives, we help to challenge injustices in the
whole world. A working class person should not be ashamed of their
background, but must live in the knowledge that he or she has the same
rights as anyone else. These are beliefs and ideals I have formulated over
long periods of my life, a life that, like many people, has had its ups
and downs. I believe firmly that, although the world is an unjust place at
best, and though injustice and hypocrisy and double-standards need
tackling and taking on, it is always in a positive sense; if a person has
a class problem, or a racist problem, or has taken to themselves any
small-minded prejudice, it is in the end their problem and should be left
their problem. We should challenge injustice with justice, negative
realities with positive and hopeful aspirations and ways of living, and in
the end, perhaps surprisingly, not indulge in any form of class war or
resentments, but find what is genuine, a genuine way of life, the way of
life that a sense of conviction, honesty and being courageous can win.
These are not idle words and they are written with conviction to instil
others with the same sense of worth I now have myself. It is when ordinary
people dare to dream that society changes; when we the downtrodden and
poor stand up to be counted and demand a fairer slice of the pie, that we
win, albeit grudging, respect. But the real issue is finding a better
life, and a fulfilling life and making society better for all of us,
regardless of the class we come from, the colour of our skin, the
background we come from, our gender, religion or lack thereof, and so on;
a society fit for heroes and heroines of all kinds.

We must also, as we challenge injustice and hypocrisy, learn to live
better and more wisely; refuse to shop in establishments that are over
expensive or patronising; refuse to keep someone else in wealth who isn't
contributing in some way to the community; think about low wage economies,
think about justice as a broad issue. It is challenging all the
injustices, the social injustices, the economic injustices, the great
disparities of wealth between the rich and poor, the allocation of all
types of resources, where as in so many cases, often those who have, seem
to get more and more. When we challenge injustice, even in our own very
personal lives, we challenge the very heart of the hypocrisy, which is a
grossly unfair economic reality, as much evident in the modern world as in
poorer and less developed parts of the world. Most injustices revolve on
the deeply skewed economic reality at the heart of the world's system. The
Bible states quite clearly: 'For the love of money is the root of all
evil'. Isn't it curious how those who are often rich and powerful, in
spheres such as business, the Church and higher society of all kinds,
claim the higher moral and religious and political ground as well? So, not
content with having material wealth and privilege, they want the spiritual
and philosophical power as well? How convenient! Much of Left politics,
and it seems church and charity organisations, are all about a veneer of
political correctness and 'goody-two-shoes' rhetoric, whilst at the same
time creating and upholding the divisions and injustices that, circa 2004,
are still dividing Britain. We should challenge wealthy lefties, and
wealthy politically correct individuals, to see if they are 'true' or
merely using slogans to justify their domination in other spheres. How
interesting that for all the charity work and the splendid words, Britain
is almost at the bottom of the modern nations for child poverty, wage
slavery, horrendous pensioner poverty and whole areas that lack basic
amenities, and where people are either out of work or in low paying and
contract-labour jobs. If we do not talk about this, and bring it into the
public forum, the so-called liberals and 'concerned' will happily ignore
it all day long. How can the fourth wealthiest country in the world be so
divided on terms of wealth?

We know in our hearts that so much injustice goes on, that it is often
impossible, is impossible, to tackle it all. Everywhere there is poverty,
bad housing, lying and often useless politicians of all political hues,
corruption, injustice, class-prejudice, racism, bigotry, bad public
transport, rundown areas and a general apathy about it all. Few of us have
escaped the apathy and the indifferences that such injustice inevitably
brings with it. But, we are living in a new age, I would call it the age
of awareness; we know the workings of the world. It is a hard and unfair
place at its very best, but at least we are wise to this. Never before in
fact has their been so much knowledge available, and so much personal
freedom, at least in the West, even if often we waste these freedoms. The
freedoms today, the freedoms we take for granted, have been hard won; we
have a duty to live in ways that even our grandparents could only have
dreamed about. Yes, it is an incredible world out there, with marvellous
opportunities, even for working class people from poor backgrounds; I am
proof of this. We challenge the injustice of the whole world by, in the
end, finding ourselves, and being ourselves. Not hiding behind a clipped
accent, or a make-believe world, but where we face the world square in the
eye, proclaim who we are, and stand up and be counted. The working class
kid from the slum may just find a better life, who knows?

A working class revolution is one where the people at the bottom are given
first credence, and where the reality is accepted that ordinary people
shape and change society, not some supposed pampered elite, that does
little more than drain taxes and live lifestyles of ancient Chinese
emperors; society is for the majority of ordinary people. We should
challenge unjust privilege of every kind, and expect local politicians and
the people claiming to represent us, to do just that. We should ask for
accountability and think about local people and local issues. We working
class people in the cities should challenge the notion that all the good
jobs should go to a middle class elite that has little or no interest in
local issues. We ourselves should hold out for these top jobs! We should
be better, and work harder, and aspire to better jobs and lives ourselves.
In this alone there is a balancing out of the great injustices that
England has been party to since anyone can care to remember. You need
education, ambition and to dream a little, no, to dream a lot. A good
education is one of the keys. Also a sense of optimism, and the ability to
see your life in the long-term; a new life and outlook does not and will
not come overnight. Then the working class from the wrong side of the
tracks and the wrong accent, won't be in the wrong place, he or she will
be in the right place, whoever they are, whatever they have been and
wherever they have come from, and whatever poverty or hardships that
entailed. Then we will see that the world was made for us too, not just
the worthy and genteel, that God created the whole world for all of us.
The bell tolls for you too, and there is a place in the world for every
one of us.