[matilda] g-g-g-gig report

Joe Public iloveavocado at hotmail.com
Mon May 8 18:18:20 BST 2006

Well, it's been a quiet couple of weeks down in the gig space, but our
schedule is once again action-packed from now on, so it's back to it. It's
been nice to have a bit of breathing space, although obviously none of us
have lives outside of the collective, so we've spent the down time sitting
in our cellars drinking cider with a stereo on to recreate the experience.

Last Friday we hosted the Woodcraft Yoof benefit, but I know nothing about
it except that it went well, because I ducked out to write an essay about
the morality of promising. I hear there was a good showing of volunteers for
the bar though, three cheers for the punks.

What I can tell you about is last night, when we hosted Dog Canute, Red
Panda, Concentration Champ and Silent Front. Ok, Concentration Champ were
amazing! It was just a guitar and drums with occasional howly unmic-ed
vocals and they were both wearing stockings over their heads which was
actually kind of terrifying. The best bit was when someone watching shouted
'blast beats!' and the guitarist thought they said 'pasties!'. The other
bands were good too of course, Dog Canute are local heroes, with Dave on
bass who helps out at the gig space too - what a Renaissance man. Silent
Front were nice fellows, all the way up from London. They were really
excited about Matilda, comparing it to big social centres on the continent
and expressing the desire to try something similar down in Babylon (London).

4 bands worth of noisy music and home in time for midnight, what more could
you ask for?

Gigs this week - No Sweat benefit on Friday, should be a biggie, and all the
way from America (god help them) its the Magik Markers on Wednesday. Further
ahead than that is on the website, although I can EXCLUSIVELY REVEAL part of
the lineup for the gig collective's next self-organised gig - Walk The Plank
from Liverpool, with support tbc but definitely including Get Stuffed from
Manchester. Ooh it'll be fun.

I'm spent. Does anyone actually read these, by the way? I'd hate to be
clogging up the email list, innit.