[matilda] Destitute Asylum Seekers get an early xmas present

XXXXXXX XXXXX at XXXX.net
Thu Nov 30 12:29:02 GMT 2006

Here is a little snippet of what life is like for a destitute refugee. (see below for definition *)

3 Destitute men have been seeking shelter in some empty council flats. The council are seeking to sell the land on which the flats are built to Arches Housing. The council began legal proceedings to regain possession of the flats (court date set for 7th of December). Arches Housing have employed Red Wall construction (Building Contractor) to demolish the flats when they are emptied. On the 28th November 2006 (according to reports via Arches Housing) Red wall construction workers found all the front doors of the occupied flats open and apparently abandoned.

I have spoken with 2 of the men who were seeking shelter in the flats and these are the facts as they relayed them to me with the help of a good interpreter.

Just after 9:00am we heard a banging at the door, we were still asleep at that time and the banging woke us up. The front door was smashed open with some sort of heavy ramming device. 5 or 6 Builders entered, they all wore builder's hard hats and florescent jackets. They said we had to get out. They started shouting loudly at us. They began to throw our possessions about, things like our small camping stove, (I asked if they would like to have their possessions back, They said yes but they think they will be all mashed up). The men then started to smash the glass in the windows, the broken glass covered me (said one of the men) as I was still laying down in my bed. Then one of the men grabbed my arm and started to pull me towards the door. We were told to take our personal possessions out of the flat. I took some things but couldn't carry all I wanted to take.

I asked the men if they wanted to make a complaint to the authorities, but they said they were too scared that they might come for them again. They suggested taking people to the flats and they could see for themselves what had happened.

In the weeks leading up to this attack employees of Red Wall construction had already broken into one of the occupied flats and claimed it was a mistake. Also they were seen tampering with the water stop cocks to the flats, shortly after that the water pressure dropped and then the supply stopped altogether as the council workers shut off the main pipe as it had been damaged. After petitions to the council the water was reconnected. They have also been at least 3 visits to the flats by employees of Red wall construction demanding that they vacate the flats.

Yes you would be right to say this is illegal behaviour, but then again who cares?

What can I do? Not sure at the moment, but if you email your response I will see if it's worth forwarding them onto some one in Sheffield council. We are seeking an intermediary party to gain the possessions of the destitute men and items well wishers had given them. We feel an intermediary is necessary as two men who went to enquired on the Red wall building site about what had happened were told to "Fuck off of my site" by one of the Red wall workmen. An angry mob of men then proceeded to chased them away off site.

Many Thanks

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

* Destitute Asylum seekers are people who have no recourse to government benefits or support from the home office (NAS). They are not permitted to work and some have been jailed for doing so.

Some are awaiting deportation but because of the complexities of their case they can't be deported. Some come from countries that are deemed "unsafe" by the home office and can't be returned. Some have legal cases ongoing and in theory should get support but presently many are being refused this.

This e-mail is intended for the recipients only, please do not forward on to any other party without permission.