[matilda] Invitation to Seminar on Institutional Bias Against Minorities and Islamophobia in Britain

ruhul ruhul at blink.org.uk
Sat May 26 10:46:48 BST 2007

** **

** Invitation to Seminar on Institutional Bias Against Minorities and
Islamophobia in Britain**

We are writing to invite you to a seminar on institutional bias
against minorities, using the example of Islamophobia in Britain. The
working title of the seminar is
Discriminating against the
Discriminated: Institutional Bias against Minorities in the UK
.

The seminar will look at the situation of minorities and structural
issues affecting them in their interaction with the law and law
enforcement bodies, using the empirical work we have undertaken
regarding Muslims in the UK, and the theoretical overview we
published regarding minorities, that is consolidated in volumes 2 and
5 of the British Muslims Expectations of the Government series.

Please find enclosed copies of Law and British Muslims: Domination
of the Majority or Process of the Balance and Social
Discrimination: Across the Muslim Divide together with their
executive summaries.

In offering our reports as a focus for debate we are not being
prescriptive, rather intending it to prompt competing and
complementary perspectives and to enable and encourage participants
to prepare for a constructive exchange of views.

The seminar will focus on four primary areas, each of which will have
its own workshop. Pre-registration for the event and the workshops is
essential and each participant can choose from one of the topics
below:

a) The Courts System

b) Policing

c) The Complaints System

d) Family Proceedings

We hope that you will be able to join us and look forward to hearing
from you soon. Please do no hesitate to contact me for further
information and also if you would like further copies of either
report sent to you.

This seminar is part of a project that is supported the Joseph
Rowntree Charitable Trust. Admission to the event is free.

The seminar will take place on Tuesday 12 June 2007 at the Islamic
Centre of England, 140 Maida Vale, London W9 1QB, between 2pm and
6pm.

If you wish to participate in this seminar please post back or copy
and paste the form below into an email and send to us. If you have
any further queries regarding the seminar, please do not hesitate to
contact myself either by telephone on 020 8904 4222 or by emailing
Fahad at ihrc.org.

Yours sincerely,

Fahad Ansari

Communications Officer

"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE COMPLETE AND POST BACK TO IHRC, PO BOX 598, WEMBLEY, MIDDLESEX
HA9 7XH OR EMAIL CONFIRMATION TO FAHAD at IHRC.ORG

Name

Institution

Address

Email

Phone

Mobile

I would like to attend workshop (Please tick one)

a) The Courts System

b) Policing

c) The Complaints System

d) Family Proceedings

My second choice of workshop, should my first choice be full is: a),
b), c), d)

(Please circle one)

This event is supported by the 1990 Trust