[matilda] Climate Camp: Where Next?

Danny Chivers dannychivers at riseup.net
Thu Nov 1 10:59:29 GMT 2007

Dear friends,

The “Climate Camp: What Next?” national gathering is happening in Oxford
this weekend (3rd/4th November). It’s our chance to decide where all of
the people, energy, inspiration and ideas from the Camp should go from
here. Below are some practical details about the weekend; keep an eye on
the website (www.climatecamp.org.uk) for the latest details of the agenda
etc.

Really hope to see you in Oxford,

Danny,
Camp for Climate Action Networking Group

Here's a quick update with (hopefully) all the info you might need for the
Oxford Climate Camp gathering. If you have specific questions after reading
this (or have any particular needs) email oxford at climatecamp.org.uk

BTW If you're coming and haven't already told us, it'd be useful if you did!
Same address: oxford at climatecamp.org.uk

Directions
----------
The meetings (and some of the accommodation space) are taking place at:
East Oxford Community Centre, on the corner of Princes St / Cowley Rd,
OX4 1HU  http://openstreetmap.com/?mlat=51.74828&mlon=-1.2377&zoom=16

This is also the best place to come and get info when you arrive;
there will be people here from Friday evening onwards. If you get
lost ring us:
(01865) 243121

Accommodation
-------------
We now have plenty of crashpad accommodation available, but it will be
split between 3 or 4 different venues. When you arrive at the
Community Centre the info/welcome table can assign you a place at one
of these. There are a limited number of spaces at the Centre itself, so
if in doubt (eg if arriving v.late at night) go there. Bring a warm
sleeping bag and rollmat.

Food
----
Tasty vegan food will be available, including a meal on Friday evening.
It'll be organised on a meal ticket system, to allow us to get some money
upfront and have a good idea of numbers. Breakfast will be free; lunch and
dinner will be £2 a meal (less if you are really really skint). Meal tickets
will be available from the info/welcome table when you arrive. We will of
course need volunteers to help cook; ask in the kitchen :)

Donations
---------
We'll also need people to donate to cover venue and accommodation hire.
The exact amount will be confirmed on Saturday, but will probably be
around £12 each (or whatever you can afford).

Accessibility
-------------
Unfortunately the upstairs rooms are not wheelchair accessible,
(sorry, we know it's crap!) but all the main meetings will take
place downstairs.

Agenda
------
This is still being drafted but will mainly focus on 'Where Next?'
discussions. If you have any ideas about something you think should
be included, or if you are up for helping with planning and facilitating,
email: meetings at climatecamp.org.uk

Travel Pool
-----------
There'll be a travel pool. The idea is that people with more money or
lower travel costs contribute towards the costs of people with less
money or higher travel costs. Please chip in if you can afford to
and let us know if you need some costs covering.

Police
------
There might be cops outside filming people coming in and out. No need
to be intimidated; you could ignore them, cover your face, ridicule
them or whatever depending on your personal preference :)

See you this weekend :)

Love and revolution,

...the Oxford Climate Action insurgent hedgehog brigade

PS A small notice we've been asked to forward:
=============================
Free Digital Printer available to worthy cause/Group!

Its a Ricoh VT3800, comes with Black, red and green drums, several cartons
of each ink and some master rolls. Its the size of a large photocopier, I
have some samples of print quality available at the weekend if anyone
wants to see them.

It will print text & basic images fine, its great for doing longer runs -
eg leaflets, posters etc, will print up to A3 size. It has a low energy
consumption & is much cheaper to use than a photocopier. It was at
GreenPrint for several years, printing all sorts of stuff - Corporate Watch
briefings, booklets, Anti War posters etc, its done a lot of work  but has
been regularly maintained & had a lot of the drive components replaced. All
the ink & masters etc are available easily, most of the basic spare parts
also. It should last several years if its looked after & not hammered...
I can give folks the manuals as a PDF & training in how to use it.

Its in Oxfordshire at the moment & would need collecting - if people are
really screwed for transport then I could deliver locally, or if I'm
heading in that direction (I'm heading to Herefordshire & Gloucestershire
in the next couple of weeks - so could easily go to Wales/Brum etc) - but I
would need some fuel expenses to do so. Could also manage London as well.

contact owen at riseup.net if interested