[matilda] Week of Action: Shell to Sea: Please Read

Frances Jegar frances_jegar at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 14:49:23 BST 2008

Hey all,
  Am currently in Rossport, Co. Mayo.
  If anyone has a spare couple of days or commitments that could be re-arranged an urgent call to action has been called from the Shell to Sea Campaign.
  Please see below.
  thanks for reading! (and hopefully see you soon).

  Hi friends,

As you will have seen and read in recent reports and emails, Shell are now poised to start work on the offshore section of pipeline beginning at Glengad beach and on out to the wellhead at the Corrib Field. See http://www.indymedia.ie/mayo.

The 'landfall' infrastructure is in place at Glengad, the seabed pipe-trench is dug and the winch is ready on the shore to pull in pipe from sea and fix it to land.

The Solitaire pipe-laying ship is due to arrive, according to this Marine Notice: http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=10884&lang=ENG&loc=2256, today or tomorow. Dept officials say that notice is still current and in spite of a delay they say it's possible the ship will still arrive tomorrow. However Shell have said that the Solitaire will not arrive till after the weekend.

It's still unclear and confirmation is slow in coming from the 'authorities', as usual.

This does not affect our plans however. We are flexible and we are ready to confront the Solitaire should she arrive tomorrow Sat 16th as per the Marine Notice, or at any time.

People are travelling and making plans to travel to the area to support action against Shell which will start tomorrow and continue all this week.

We are planning and organising a Full Week of Action against Shell's pipelaying plans this week. We need your help to realise these plans and succeed in turning back the Solitaire from our shores. She is alien to this environment and she is not welcome here. We intend to turn her away with days of action all this week.

As ever, people are welcome at the Rossport Solidarity House, Pollathomas, near the beach at Glengad. Or bring tents and sleeping bags if you prefer. Ballina, Co Mayo is the nearest train and bus link, with a local bus service to us here in Pollathomas. At irregular times, or if you have any difficulties call 085 1141170 for more details.

Time is limited for the Solitaire and the window of opportunity is relatively small for Shell and for us. The Solitaire is a busy ship with a busy schedule. She is required for 'easier' contracts elswhere. Shell are concerned about this important phase of the project. And they should be concerned. In 2005 the Solitaire was turned back by the Erris Inshore Fishermen's Association who announced a blockade. Circumstances are slightly different this year but the outcome must be the same. No Solitaire in Broadhaven Bay. No raw gas pipe. NO CONSENT.

Get your asses to Erris. Let's make it happen, together. Please Come.

SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ALL CONCERNED.

Stay tuned to http://www.indymedia.ie/mayo and we will update tomorrow with an Action Update and a more public Call Out.

Niall Harnett
Rossport Solidarity Camp / Shell to Sea.