[matilda] Fossil Fools Day - 1 Month to Go!

Rising Tide info at risingtide.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 15:35:49 GMT 2008

***Please forward far and wide!***
(scroll down for action resources and support)

With one month to go until April 1st, actions are being plotted up and
down the country and around the world, ranging from street theatre and
town centre demonstrations to high profile direct actions targeting
industry operations and headquarters. Networks from Earth First! to People
and Planet have got on board in helping to spread the word. National press
have been in touch and are planning to cover the day. People are emailing
from around the country asking for more info on planning their prank, and
looking for local actions to get involved in.

We are in the middle of an unstoppable rise of creative, radical,
necessary direct action against climate change
 be part of it, on Fossil
Fools Day and beyond.

Whether you’ve been plotting for months or have just been inspired,
there’s plenty of time left to plan your action. Read on for loads of
resources and support
 and whatever you do, make sure to call or email us
on the day so we can add your action to our end-of-day round up, and show
the world what grassroots action against the fossil fuel industry can
achieve.

Happy Fossil Fools Day everyone!

CONTACTS
www.risingtide.org.uk/fossilfoolsday
info at risingtide.org.uk
0796 191 7535

RESOURCES AND SUPPORT

Resources available at  www.risingtide.org.uk/fossilfoolsday (get in touch
if you’d like anything mailed to you in hard copy):
-actions booklet with 15 ideas for action against the fossil fuel
industry, including planning tips, target locations, examples of
successful actions and more
-posters, leaflets and graphics to make your own materials
-coming soon: a generic leaflet you can adapt to hand out on the day and a
Q&A sheet for answering media questions

Want to find an action to get involved in?
If you're looking to get involved where you live, get in touch and we may
be able to link you up with something in your local area... or give you
advice on getting your own action off the ground... or put you in touch
with a local group for future actions!

Publicity
If you're planning a publicly announced action, let us know ASAP and we
can help spread the word.

Media
We'll be sending out a national press release and may be able to direct
journalists to you on the day if you wish, so any info you can let us know
in advance will be really helpful – and/or a phone number to contact you
on the day if that's possible. And call or email us as soon as your
action’s happened so we can include it in the end-of-day actions round-up,
which we’ll be press releasing as well. Get in touch if you’d like help
writing and/or sending your own press release  - there’s a great guide
here:
http://www.networkforclimateaction.org.uk/toolkit/press_and_media/guides_for_using_the_mainstream_media/short_guide_to_the_media.pdf

And if your action’s all sorted and you just can’t get enough of FFD
 Help
spread the word!
•	Send an email or letter to everyone who might be interested, or who
supports your group, letting them know about Fossil Fools Day and where to
find out more.
•	Post a Fossil Fools Day link or event description on your website (we’ve
attached a graphic to jazz it up), or to any other lists, blogs or
websites you can think of.
•	Distribute Fossil Fools Day leaflets and put up posters wherever you can
- mailed to your local groups, in your community centre, office, pubs,
bookshops, cafes, library, wherever you can think of. Just let us know how
many you need and we’ll send them out to you!

And one last time
 the call-out:

FOSSIL FOOLS DAY, April 1st 2008
Pull a prank that packs a punch.

Roll up, roll up! The climate circus is in town. Climate change threatens
our very survival, but the fools at the head of the fossil fuel empire
continue to plunder the earth, with governments the willing court jesters
at their side.

They would have us believe that we can escape climate change with
techno-fixes, market mechanisms and offset schemes – all technocratic
acrobatics that distract us from the truth: the only real solution to
climate change is to keep fossil fuels in the ground.

For over a century the fossil fuel industry has been fooling with our
lives. From extraction to combustion they have poisoned our air, polluted
our water and ruined our climate. On April 1st, 2008, we’re going to turn
the tables and show them who the real fools are.

Find a local fossil fool – the coal-mining clown, the offset
contortionist, the aviator tripping on the high wire, the supermarket food
mile freak show, the oily strong man, or any other fool that deserves your
attention – and take direct action to end the fossil fuel empire.

On Fossil Fools Day, bring the spirit of carnival and mischief to the
fight for climate justice.

PS. Don’t forget

3 MONTHS, 3 DAYS OF ACTION
April 1st: Fossil Fuels