[Minorcompositions] Emotions Go To Work

Minor Compositions minorcompositions at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 13:11:10 UTC 2018

Now available for ordering and/or free download…

*Emotions Go To Work*
Zoe Beloff

Artist book investigating how technology is used to transform feelings
into capital

Emotions Go To Work is an investigation into how technology is used to
turn our feelings into valuable assets. One might call it the
transformation of emotion into capital. It asks what is at stake in our
relationship with the companions we call smart objects? What does the
future hold in store for a world where people are treated more and more
like things, while the billions of gadgets that make up the Internet of
Things are increasingly anthropomorphized, granted agency?

Spanning an arc of time from the 18th century to 21st century and
beyond, Emotions Go To Work traces the codification and
instrumentalization emotional data in ways both playful and serious. It
considers the role emojis play our mental life and their potential to
evolve and grow monstrous. It suggests that anthropomorphized
technological creatures from early cartoons might inspire a utopian
society. Proposing that the first step to re-wiring our world is to
picture possibilities in games and in play, in dreams and in far-fetched
fictions, so that we can begin new conversations between people and things.

Bio: Zoe Beloff is an artist and filmmaker. Her work aims to connect the
present to past so that it might illuminate the future in new ways.
Themes include proposals for new forms of community; The Coney Island
Amateur Psychoanalytic Society and its Circle 1926 – 1972 or The Days of
the Commune staged as series of street performances to new ways about
thinking about labor in The Infernal Dream of Mutt and Jeff and Emotions
Go to Work. Zoe presents her work internationally in museums,
alternative spaces and film festivals. She is a Professor in Media and
Art at Queens College CUNY.

64 pages, hand printed 5 color Risograph artist book with two pullout
pages in limited edition of 200 copies, 165 x 235 mm trim size

PDF available freely online: http://www.minorcompositions.info/?p=908

Ordering Information: Available direct from Minor Compositions now for
the special price
of £10.

Release to the book trade April 2019

Released by Minor Compositions, Colchester / Brooklyn / Port Watson
Minor Compositions is a series of interventions & provocations drawing
from autonomous politics, avant-garde aesthetics, and the revolutions of
everyday life.

--

https://twitter.com/minorcomps
http://www.facebook.com/groups/255105881183214/