[Minorcompositions] Minor Compositions Podcast Episode 5: Squatting, Art, and Gentrification with Clarrie Pope and Alan W. Moore

Minor Compositions minorcompositions at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:25:48 UTC 2022

Minor Compositions Podcast Episode 5: Squatting, Art, and Gentrification
with Clarrie Pope and Alan W. Moore
https://fireflyfrequencies.org/podcasts/minor-compositions

For this episode we have a discussion with Clarrie Pope and Alan W Moore
around squatting, art, and gentrification, as well as a range of related
topics. The idea is to explore these topics, but coming from different
angles, for instance how writing a graphic novel about squatting is
different from a personal account or political or academic writing on
the same topic. How do these different modes of writing affect the
stories that we tell, and how we can communicate with different kinds of
people?

Welcome Home was written by sisters Clarrie and Blanche Pope, and is
inspired by their experience in squatting and housing struggles, as well
Blanche’s time spent working in care homes. They want to give readers
insight into the class, race and gender politics involved in both
through a humorous look at the way in which these issues affect the
minutiae of people's lives.

Alan W. Moore worked as a critic, artist and organizer in NYC for 30
years. He worked with the artists’ group Colab, and co-directed ABC No
Rio and the MWF Video Club. He took a PhD in Art History from CUNY in
2000, and published Art Gangs with Autonomedia in 2011. He began to
study squatting in Europe in 2009, publishing the zine House Magic
(2009-16). He co-edited Making Room: Cultural Production in Occupied
Spaces (Other Forms/JoAAP), and wrote Occupation Culture (Autonomedia),
both in 2015. In 2022 he published Art Worker, a memoir (JoAAP). He
lives in Madrid, and blogs at "Occupations & Properties" and "Art Gangs.”

Opening  / Outro song: “Bello e impossibile” by Gianna Nannini

Welcome Home by Clarrie & Blanche Pope:
https://www.minorcompositions.info/?p=1047
Occupation Culture: Art & Squatting in the City from Below by Alan W.
Moore: https://www.minorcompositions.info/?p=684

Temporary Autonomous Art (October 2021): https://www.taaexhibitions.org/

--
Minor Compositions is a series of interventions
& provocations drawing from autonomous politics,

http://www.minorcompositions.info
https://twitter.com/minorcomps
http://www.facebook.com/groups/255105881183214/