[Minorcompositions] Minor Compositions Podcast Episode 11: Italian Operaismo with Gigi Roggero

Minor Compositions minorcompositions at gmail.com
Wed May 10 14:20:36 UTC 2023

*Minor Compositions Podcast Episode 11: Italian Operaismo with Gigi Roggero*
https://fireflyfrequencies.org/podcasts/minor-compositions

This episode of the Minor Compositions podcast is recorded as part of
the Ultradependent Public School exhibition at BAK
(https://www.bakonline.org/program-item/ultradependent-public-school-2/)

For this episode we are talking with Gigi Roggero about his book
/Italian Operaismo: Genealogy, History, Method/. In this conversation we
cover a range of topics including the birth and development of operaismo
as a political tendency, the concepts of class composition and political
formation, and rethinking how we approach and re-activate radical
histories in the present.

“Italian Operaismo provides a clear overview of the central moments in
that tendency's development: from the Italian labor movement's crisis of
direction in the 1950s, the encounter with the “new forces” within the
working class at FIAT and elsewhere in the early 1960s, and the
political journals Quaderni rossi and Classe operaia, to the experience
of Potere Operaio and other organizations a decade later. Roggero
provides a rereading of operaismo that is both salutary and provocative,
one that stresses above all the role within it of subjectivity and
political engagement, demonstrating the continued relevance of its
subversive method as a tool for reworking the categories of radical and
revolutionary thought.

Opening / outro music: The Potere Operaio Anthem, as sung by Oreste
Scalzone and Comrades