[noborders-brum] Re: Proposal from London No Borders 4 a gathering

sara b sara_b37 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:28:22 UTC 2006

Hi all,

we had a london No Borders meeting last night and we'd like to propose the
weekend of sat 11th & sun 12th march at The Square Occupied Social Centre,
21 Russell Square, London WC1, as a concrete time and place for the No
Borders gathering.

we can sort out accommodation for anyone who needs it on friday & saturday
night but it would be helpful to know numbers in advance.

In terms of making an agenda, thanks Birmingham for the offer of the wiki,
but not everyone in our group is confident about using one, so we'd like to
suggest instead, starting a thread on the no borders bulletin board set up
by glasgow, which is at www.noborders.org.uk

Some initial suggestions we'd like to see as part of the gathering are:
1. a practical workshop about visiting people in detention/detainee
support/stoping deportations.  (At the moment we have a lot of new people in
London who want to get involved in this & we feel like other No Borders
groups may be in a similar situation.)

2. a discussion about non-compliance of people who work in social
work/housing/teaching/healthcare etc. who are resisting enforcing border
regimes in their workplaces - and perhaps asking people from manchester who
have been resisting section 9, both campaigners & social workers, of what
they actually did on a practical level, and how this could be replicated.

3. Discussion about a day of action in the UK in April, against detention
centres, in solidarity with the week of action at Baxter detention centre in
Australia.

All ideas & comments welcome!

cheers,
Sara