[noborders-brum] [Fwd: [noii-uk] No Borders UK Gathering]

noidea at riseup.net noidea at riseup.net
Sat Nov 18 13:25:16 UTC 2006

I'm interested in going. I can't think of any conferences or gatherings
going on in Feb or March. (I personally can't make the first or last
weekend of March so I'm hoping its not arranged for then.)

----------------------------
> Subject: [noii-uk] No Borders UK Gathering
> From:    "Stuart Hodkinson" <stuart.hodkinson at gmx.net>
> Date:    Fri, November 17, 2006 1:52 am
> To:      noii-uk at lists.riseup.net
> Cc:      "Leeds No Borders" <leedsnoborders at lists.riseup.net>
>          "Unity Centre" <theunitycentre at btconnect.com>
>          socialcentrenetwork at lists.riseup.net
>
> PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO YOUR INDIVIDUAL GROUPS
>
> No Borders UK Gathering Proposal - Leeds, February/March 2007
>
> The No Borders network in the UK is expanding all the time.
> Its principles of self-organised, grassroots, direct action against the
racist asylum and immigration system are attracting a wide
> coalition of people who are becoming radicalised by the horrific
treatment of migrants in Britain. We are stopping deportations,
> ending detentions, fighting individual campaigns, exposing the
> prison-like conditions of so-called 'reporting' and 'removal' centres
and the companies that profit, organising marches and demonstrations,
providing mutual support and solidarity and educating others
> about what is really happening in this country...
>
> ...but it is not enough. We are not winning; we are not even treading
water.
> Deportations and detentions happen every day that none of us will ever
know or hear about. Destitution is getting worse. Each time we get a
small victory, the government simply steps up another gear. And at every
turn
> we question what we are doing, whether we should be doing something
different,
> how we can improve, where we are heading and how.
>
> Leeds No Borders marked its first anniversary last Wednesday with a look
back on all we had achieved in the past 12 months. We've gone from being
a largely white group of 'activists' to a genuine rainbow
coalition
> of
> people from different backgrounds and continents. The discussion was
positive but realistic - we are getting hammered and either we stand and
fight or we give up. The second option is not up for discussion.

> As a group we have drawn strength and inspiration from the work of
London No Borders, Glasgow Unity and the National Coalition of
> Anti-Deportation
> Campaigns. We feel there is a strong and powerful solidarity network in
the UK
> but that it is fragmented, lacking in strategic cohesion, failing to
communicate and
> unable to see the bigger picture and how we can and must link our
struggles into
> all others for global justice.
>
> Gathering Proposal
>
> Leeds No Borders is thus proposing a face to face gathering of the No
Borders network
> and its allies in February or March of next year - 2007 - in Leeds. So
that we can:

> - share our stories, struggles and experiences
> - teach each other what we have learned
> - discuss what works and what needs to work
> - place our struggle in a wider global context
> - think strategically and tactically
> - improve our communications and collective work
> - meet each other and build up friendship and mutual understanding -
plan joint actions and campaigns