[noborders-brum] [Fwd: [noborders-uk] call for g8/freedom of movement june 4]

phunkee phunkee at aktivix.org
Thu Apr 5 08:47:31 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[noborders-uk] call for g8/freedom of movement june 4
Date: 	Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:35:08 +0100
From: 	startx <""@plentyfact.org>
To: 	noborders-uk at lists.riseup.net

hi.
heres the callout for june 4 , the migration action day
during the g8.

groups might consider to sign up.

w.

4 June 2007:
For global freedom of movement and equal rights for all!
“We are here because you are destroying our countries!”

Transnational call for a migration-oriented day of action in Rostock in
the context of the week of protest against the G8 summit

Movements of refugees and migrants are increasing worldwide. Whether in
San Diego or Ceuta, the borders are being undermined. In Los Angeles and
Brussels demands are being made for legalisation, in Hamburg or Bamako
the struggle against deportations continues. Rebellions are spreading in
detentions from London to Woomera, and people are defending themselves
against precarious working conditions from El Ejido to Seoul

no matter where in the world, no one can ignore the global dimension and
growing significance of migrants and refugee struggles. These struggles
are as much a reaction to the massive plundering and continuing
devastation in the global south as they are a demand for social equality
that is sanctioned around the world.

Global Apartheid
The global exploitatin gap is inherent in 21st century capitalism.
Increasing pressure to compete is escalating the battlefield for wages
and working conditions, especially for those who cannot find any work
at all. This leads subsequently to increased outsourcing of labor to
what are known as the cheap-labor nations, or free export zones, that
are not coincedently located along border regions (such as
maquiladoras). Conversely, people are making there way to (better paid)
work by crossing borders in greater numbers. This pattern is occurring
not only in the South, but also in the wealthy industrial nations. Many
can only make it as temporary seasonal workers or as workers without
papers. Consequently, racial privileges versus racist exclusionary
policies ensure that the impoverished zones remain separate from the
wealthy regions, or at best, can only be traversed under very specific
conditions, whether it is the US-american border or the border between
Europe and North Africa, or in the megacities such as Bombay or Lagos,
where wealth and poverty coexist side-by-side.
It is precisely the G8 governments, together with transnational
corporations and international organisations like the WTO, IWF and World
Bank, that are responsible for not only maintaining this global
apartheid regime, but also for solidifying and intensifying it.

Global Exploitation
The G8 are likewise responsible for exploitation structures, especially
those which lead to the grueling reality in the global South. "We are
here because you are destroying our countries " is the slogan coined by
refugee organisations which is directed toward the whole array of the
G8’s neocolonial strategies: Against debt policies which impose price
increases and privatisation measures under so-called structural
readjustment programmes; against the devastation of local economies
leading to increasing impoverishment of these countries; against the
plundering of their resources; and last but not least, against the
direct or indirect support of dictators and warlords.

Pre-emptive migration patrols beyond the actual EU borders
However, it’s not just the G8 and its affiliates that are solely
responsible for the destruction in the global south. The militarized
borders between México and the USA or between Africa and Europe are
leading to thousands of precalculated deaths. Supposed developemental
aid and financial support of indebted and therebey corruptible
goverments are implicated in this dilemma, as they are forced to accept
these repatriation agreements and migration patrols, already taking
place in the transit regions, as well as even in the countries from
which migrants originate. Moving the virtual borders of the EU outward
into typical countries of migration is becoming an increasingly
integral part of a globalized migration regime.

Racism and Selection in the North
The deadly borders are already functining as selection filters, where
only the “fittest” can pass. Every year, tens of thousands of people are
deported from Europe, while countless migrants and refugees are forced
to make their way as illigalized and undocuments persons, or are subject
without rights to the racist administration in the deportation centers,
an administrative codex which primarily focuses on intimidation. It is
no coincidence that the power-brokers call it "migration management",
when they combine these forms of exclusion with the recruitment of cheap
labourers, whose exploitation occurs in precarious conditions. Residency
permits are bound to the workplace whilst illegalisation and deportation
serve as blackmail. All over the world, a process of selection and
hierarchicalization is unfolding, where different migrant groups are
denied social and political privileges to varying degrees according to
the demands of the northern labor market.
After all, sweatshops, construction sites, farms, and homes, all rely on
cheap, flexible and especially, on obedient migrant workers. And as it
is in the interest of the capitalists to expand low wage jobs, migrants
and seasonal workers are used to insert a competitive (w)edge between
migrants and the local residents. Not only first-generation migrants
are denied their rights, but also, their children and grandchildren.
Whether Germany, France, or USA, the second and even third generation
are affected by systematic discrimiation: on the job, in real estate,
in the education system, or pertaining to their right to vote. And all
are at risk as potential victims of racial violence, either perpetrated
by fascits or by the police. On one hand, such intimidation and
disenfranchisement are an expression of xenophobia and racism, but on
the other hand, exist as a component in a greater exploitation scheme
within a complex hierarchical structure.

Transnational Movement
By directly or indiretly placing their demands for global freedom of
movement and social equality at the foreground of the political
landscape, the struggles of migrants and refugees smash the confines
and combat the existing social order of a growing global apartheid. In
this manner, these are opening up dialog based on a transnational
perspective, which should put just as much emphasis on the patterns of
exploitation and oppression existing in the south as it does on these
conditions in the north. We do not deny the very real differences in
the circumstances and struggles throughout various regions, countries
and continents. Nor do we deny the stratification of interests that lie
within various groups, such as between temporary and permanent
migrants, or between employees who have state citizenship but work
under precariuos working conditions as compared to the interests of
undocumented “foreigners”, for example. However, we are aware of the
necessity to bridge these gaps, and to communicate – by overcoming
these barriers, whether they exists as actual difference in
circumstance or in our heads. We seek connection to other social
movements, progressive groups in trade unions and other institutions,
who wish to join us in this struggle against social and political
inequality and marginalization. For this reason, we will participate in
the actions against the G8 summit. We aim for a strategy based on
commonality, as we are struggling against the same apartheid- and
migration-regime and for global social justice.

Global Freedom of Movement ...
... was the key slogan for the large migration demonstrations during the
anti-G8 moblilization in Genua 2001. The slogan has remain unchanged in
the last three years, most recently on 7 October 2006. Global freedom of
movement was top on the agenda at the social forums and conferences in
Bamako, Athens and Rabat in 2006 as well as this year in Nairobi. Global
freedom of movement is a "fundamental right and a precursor to other
fundamental human rights " (Rabat declaration). The right to movement
is a decisive cog in the machine of exploitation, an oppressive
structure that itself has no borders, while constructing even more
borders everywhere else, inside and out. Once again, we are continuing
this trend by calling for a transnational day of action on 4 June 2007
in the context of the coming anti-G8 mobilization, under the banner of
"for global freedom of movement and equal rights for all".

Week of Action against the G8
An entire week of actions is scheduled from 2 to the 8 of June in and
around Rostock and Heiligendamm, Germany, to protest the G8 summit to be
held there – with demonstrations and rallies, blockades and direct
actions, with camps and conferences, to be held by various social
movements. Of course, we, as migration-oriented groups and other
interested networks, intend to take part in the larger mobilization and
in the huge demonstration at 2nd of June we want to join with an own
block. For 3rd of June we will prepare a transnational networking
meeting. And on 4 June, one day before the blockades against the G8
summit will begin, we wish to focus special attention on our demands by
planning our own day of action, followed by a demonstration.
We invite all networks and organisations around the world, in particular
the migration-oriented ones, to join us in participating in the day of
action as well as in the moblization at large, as well as, if possible,
to send delegates. We are aware, however, that many who would like to
come will not be able to, whether it is due to financial or political
obstacles, or due to difficulty in obtaining a visa. In this vein, we
express our utmost solidarity and support to those who wish to organize
decentralized protests locally, wherever they live, against the G8
summit in June.
Let us show the world elite, who will be meeting for their summit in
Heiligendamm, our definitive resistance against their politics of
exclusion and exploitation. Let’s take the occastion during these
days of action to articulate the truly transnational character of the
movements and struggles carried out by refugees and migrants.

First signatures:
NoLager Mecklenburg-Vorpommern; Antirassistische Initiative Rostock;
Flüchtlingsinitiative Brandenburg (FIB); African Conference Forum (ACF);
Flüchtlingsrat Hamburg; AntiLager-Gruppe Hamburg; NoLager Bremen;
Jugendliche ohne Grenzen (JOG) Brandenburg; Antirassistische Initiative
(ARI) Berlin; Antirassismusplenum Göttingen; Papiere für Alle -
Göttingen; Initiative gegen Rassismus und Ausgrenzung - Dortmund; kein
mensch ist illegal - Hanau; Attac AG Globalisierung und Migration;
Flüchtlingsrat Bayern; Antirassistische Aktion Augsburg; Bürengruppe
Paderborn; Initiative gegen das Chipkartensystem - Berlin; Rasthaus
Freiburg; LabourNet Germany; Aktionsbündnis Sozialproteste; kein mensch
ist illegal Hamburg; Aktionsbündnis gegen Abschiebungen - Rhein/Main;
Initiative gegen Abschiebung Frankfurt; ZAG - Berlin; Bündnis gegen
Abschiebungen Mannheim; Sozialistische Jugend - Die Falken LV Berlin;
FELS - Berlin; Interventionistische Linke; Karawanegruppe München;
AGIS-Darmstadt; kein mensch ist illegal Köln; Initiative gegen
Abschiebehaft Berlin; Büro für medizinische Flüchtlingshilfe Berlin;
Birat e.V. Bremen;