[noborders-brum] making a statement about Amnesty

Shiar shiar at riseup.net
Mon Jun 25 12:01:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, June 24, 2007 4:48 am, phunkee wrote:
> Following the rally yesterday which we're mentioned as a 'supporting
> group', shouldn't we make a statement about our position on Amnestys?

So I've put together a quick draft (basically based on the London
Noborders leaflet from a while ago). Below is the text. For easy reading,
see here
http://makebordershistory.org/workspace/BirminghamNoBorders_statement_on_amnesties

------

Birmingham NoBorders statement on asylum amnesties

In light of the national (now mainstream) <a
href="http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/04/368798.html">campaign</a>
demanding an amnesty for some, selected asylum seekers [1], and even <a
href="http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/06/374175.html">more radical
campaigns</a> demanding a general amnesty for all, Birmingham NoBorders
would like to stress a few points related to asylum amnesties.</em></p>
Not all amnesties are the same. Those campaigning for one need to consider
what kind of amnesty or regularisation they want. Some amnesties may cause
great suffering and consequently result in strengthening the immigration
system.</p>
An amnesty is not a long term solution because it does not affect the
causes of immigration. Those arriving after an amnesty would still be
declared 'illegal', forced to work illegally for sweatshop wages and be
subject to detention, destitution and deportation. There is also a real
danger that an amnesty could open the door for stronger immigration
controls for those who don’t "make the grade" or who arrive after an
amnesty ends. [2]</p>
Asylum amnesties, however, could give security to thousands of people
living in precarious conditions, and a campaign for amnesty could prove
the basis for a wider campaign against the unfairness of the immigration
system itself. While we do support the demands of asylum seekers,
over-stayers and migrants in general to improve their lives, we want to
make sure that all migrants are aware of the dangers inherent in amnesties
and the specific dangers concealed in some of the proposals that are being
bandied around.
We, at Birmingham NoBorders, believe that we need not just an amnesty but
the complete abolition of immigration controls. We believe that no-one is
illegal and migration cannot and should not be "managed". Any attempt to
strengthen immigration controls is futile in the face of the wars,
political repression, global exploitation, gender inequalities and
environmental destruction that drive migration. "Stronger" immigration
controls only cause massive suffering and reinforce racist ideas.[3]</p>

Notes:

[1] Strangers into Citizens is calling for a "pathway into citizenship",
via a two-year work permit, for migrants who have been in the UK for more
than four years. The campaign has the backing of leading church figures,
trade unions, the Mayor of London and some businesses. For more
information, see http://www.strangersintocitizens.org.uk

[2] "Naturalisation programmes" have been carried out by many European
countries in the past. Since 1981, there have been more than 20
"regularisations" in France, Belgium, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal
and Spain. Most, if not all, of these were followed by mass deportations
and new, stricter immigration controls.

[3] The new <a
href="http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/01/360858.html">Borders Bill</a>
already allocated more funds and powers to the new Border and Immigration
Agency to "deter, detect and deport those breaking the rules and ensure
that those foreign nationals legally in the UK play their part in
upholding the rules."

--
Shiar