[pagan-magik] Fernando Pessoa

Ivan Kaliayew kaliayew at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 00:21:24 GMT 2004

I want to share with you next poem, a poem from the greatest poet of Portugal and one of the greatest of Europe.

Hate You, Christ, I Do Not

Hate you, Christ, I do not, or seek. I believe
In you as in the others gods, your elders.
      I count you as neither more nor less
      Than they are, merely newer.

I do hate, yes, and calmly abhor people
Who seek you above the other gods, yours equals.
      I seek you where you are, not higher
      Than them, not lower, yourself merely.

Sad god, needed perhaps because there was
None like you: one more in the Pantheon, nothing
      More, not purer: because the whole
      Was complete with gods, except you.

Take care, exclusive idolater of Christ: life
Is multiple, all days different from each other,
      And only as multiple shall we
      Be with reality and alone.

      (09.10.1916)

Ricardo Reis [Fernando Pessoa]