[pagan-magik] FWD Iran / Iraq

steve ash steveash_2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 06:23:25 GMT 2005

Scott Ritter Says US Will Attack Iran In June
by Mark Jensen

Scott Ritter delivered two shocking bombshells in a
talk to a packed house in Olympia's Capitol Theater in
Washington State at the weekend.  The ex-Marine turned
UNSCOM weapons inspector said that
- George W. Bush has "signatured" plans to bomb Iran
in June 2005
- knowledgeable sources say U.S. officials "cooked"
the results of the Iraq elections.
>> well, surprise, surprise!!  my fren jeff would be
utterly shattered.  i think i won't tell him.

The principal theme of Scott Ritter's talk was
Americans' duty to protect the U.S. Constitution by
taking action to bring an end to the illegal war in
Iraq.  But in passing, he stunned his listeners with
the two pronouncements.

Iran
The purported goal for the planned aerial attack is
the destruction of Iran's alleged program to develop
nuclear weapons.  However, said Ritter,
neoconservatives in the administration also expected
the attack would set in motion a chain of events
leading to regime change in the oil-rich nation of 70
million - a possibility Ritter regards with the
greatest skepticism.

Iraq Elections
Called by Bush "a milestone in the advance of freedom
in Iraq," the former Marine said they were not so free
after all.  U.S. authorities, he said, had manipulated
the results to reduce the United Iraqi Alliance’s
percentage from 56% to 48%.
>>no, no, this can’t be true!  manipulate elections,
naw, they wouldn’t even know HOW to do it!

His source, he said, was an official involved in the
manipulation, and it would soon be reported by a
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist in a major
metropolitan magazine - an obvious allusion to New
Yorker reporter Seymour M. Hersh.

In January the New Yorker posted an article by Hersh
entitled The Coming Wars (New Yorker, JAN 24, 2005) in
which he claimed that the Bush administration’s “next
strategic target is Iran."  Hersh also reported that
"The Administration has been conducting secret
reconnaissance missions inside Iran at least since
last summer.

 Defense Department civilians, under the leadership
of Douglas Feith, have been working with Israeli
planners and consultants to develop and refine
potential nuclear, chemical-weapons, and missile
targets inside Iran.

 Strategists at the headquarters of the U.S. Central
Command, in Tampa, Florida, have been asked to revise
the military's war plan, providing for a maximum
ground and air invasion of Iran.

 The hawks in the Administration believe that it will
soon become clear that the Europeans' negotiated
approach [to Iran] cannot succeed, and that at that
time the Administration will act."

Although the peace movement failed to stop the war in
Iraq, Scott Ritter said it had a chance to stop its
expansion to other nations like Iran and Syria.  He
held up the specter of a day when the Iraq war might
be remembered as a relatively minor event that
preceded an even greater conflagration.

Before Ritter spoke, Dahr Jamail narrated a slide show
of 100 vivid photographs taken in Iraq, mostly by
himself in Fallujah.  Many showed the horrific
slaughter of civilians.  Jamail was, until recently,
one of the few independent, unembedded journalists in
Iraq.  His reports have gained a substantial following
and are available online at
dahrjamailiraq
UP!

Parallel YOUniversity, Box 833, London NW6, UK
fraser at parallel-youniversity.com
www.parallel-youniversity.com

www.parallel-youniversity.com/fraser