[pagan-magik] Death Wish

Steve (Dionysian Underground) dionysian_underground at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 18:51:16 GMT 2005

I think what the 'Maldive debate' reminded me of was
that as humans we have two drives (at least, probably
more), popularised by Freud as Eros and Thanatos.
Though I think Freud got it wrong in seeing Thanatos
as a self directed death wish, there's far more
evidence that its a biologically based sadistic drive
towards others, the instinct of egoism and seperation
balenced against the instict of eros and
connectedness. We all have tendency to enjoy the
suffering to others, just as much as we have a
tendency to share their pleasure, just as a cat enjoys
tormenting a mouse. The problem is not when
we accept this but when we lack the eros drive which
balences it out (this is also the basis of
psychopathic disorders). The real issue is to accept
it, express it, and properly sublimate it into
something positive. One sublimation is called humour,
which is rooted in taking pleasure at the suffering of
others in a ritualised way (watch any cartoon).
The big problem is when we deny it and try to pretend
we dont feel this or that it is wrong to feel it (some
people even successfully convince themselves that they
don't have such feelings and really believe they
don't). All of which is dangerous because in this way
they repress their instinct and develop neurotic (and
even psychotic) symptoms. These symptoms can be seen
demonstrated in the intolerence,
passive aggression and often secret violence of
pacifists (the cases of Tolstoy regularly beating and
raping his wife and Ghandi secretly glorifying in war,
and is more often found in the maliciousness that
often emerges in debates between pacifists). Not
accepting our 'darker side' actually increases it and
allows it to govern us unconsciously (as the whole
history of Christian 'civilisation' shows) while
accepting it and dealing with it allows us to master
it and channel it in positive ways. Part of this
acceptance is being honest about our feelings
regardless of any contingent moral considerations.

Steve

=====
Opposing Utopia for the sake of its Realisation