[pagan-magik] Fwd: [rampart] newsletter

sara smulryanuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 22:49:19 GMT 2005

I thought you lot might be interested in what is going on at Ramparts in their latest newsletter

This one's pretty long, lots of stuff coming up ;-)

First of all, welcome to the dozens of new subscribers to the rampART email list. It's grown massively in the last month and now contains over four hundred addresses. Secondly, thanks to everyone that came to the Indian Film Festival, attendence averaged between 60 and 120 people each day.

You might have heard that the festival angered rightwing hindus in the UK who claimed that the festival was racist and anti hindu. Needless to say their accusations were baseless and the festival organisers included Hindus who obviously didn't consider the films to be anti-hindu or racist. It was clear that the threats from people associated with the BJP and HVP were political motivated and had nothing to do with Hinduism. These people threatened disruption and violence in order to prevent the festival going ahead. However we went ahead as we felt it would be inaprobriate to reward their crude censorship attempts.

The six day festival went almost without hitch (bar the death of my laptop on saturday which delayed screening somewhat). Well over three hundred pounds were raised from donations and will go toward Tsunami relief efforts.

Some people asked about getting copies of the films and we can provide contact details for most of the filmmakers on request for people wanting to buy legitimate copies. People thinking about doing further screenings might be interested to know that we've put copies in the video archive at LARC (www.londonarc.org).

This weekend, Saturday 22nd, there are two things going on that you might be interested in.

-------
12:30 - Open source- open to everyone

-Free computer classes for beginners using Open Source software.
-Learn how to work with Office applications including Word Processing and Spreadsheets.

This course will introduce you to the main aspects of using Open Office Applications.
It will teach you all you need to get started using Open Office, an open source
alternative to Microsoft Office.

The course will continue weekly from Saturday 22/01/05.
Enrolment to the course will be on a first-come/first-served basis.

-------
8pm - A night of Poetry, Noise and Visuals.

Gated Community Presents: 'Swallow It III':

Copies of The Polka Dot Ceiling #6-Poetry For The Fuc*ed - on sale on the
night.

Entry by donation.

-------
29th Jan - the creative swing

The Creative Swing is a free and open-to-all event for creative people to
show their work/performances. It's a chaotic and friendly mix of acts,
artwork, interactive performance, films, dance, audience participation,
music and anything else that people bring along or do on the night. It's a
good place to show work, meet people and develop creative ideas.

The next TCS will be around the theme of food and some of the art and
performances will be loosely based around food. There will also be food
present, either from members of the audience who bring stuff to share or
people like Pogo Cafe www.pogocafe.co.uk (vegan food) or Farmaround
www.farmaround.co.uk (organic).

Some of the highlights of the night include delicacies like sword fighting
by YoungBlood and (neighbours permitting!) cooking with fire breathing by
Santiago Genochio.

Come along on the 29th (starts at 8, if you want to get the food and the
performances) and will go on all night, with music after 12.

www.thecreativeswing.com
thecreativeswing at yahoo.co.uk

---------
Sat 5th Feb - Peace News Party

An afternoon & evening of music, poetry and magic with acoustic acts,
bands, DJ’s, a peace quiz and lots of vegan-friendly nibbles and drinks -
to celebrate the new-look Peace News. The lineup includes poets Penny
Rimbaud (Crass), Will Holloway and Paradox, singersongwriters Leon
Rosselson and The Rub, bands Nayfumble and Walking Wounded & DJs Sexy
Rubber Sole and ParadigmX. ALL are welcome (see website for disabled
access details). This event is FREE but donations are welcomed!

Contact ed_assist at peacenews.info
www.peacenews.info

----------
6th to 11th Feb - Positive Movements Exhibtion 6pm - 11pm

Positive global movements is an exhibition with film forums happening at Rampart Social Creative Centre in London, England, from the 6th to the 11th of February 2005. Celebrating "the movement of movements" - the growth of people's uprising and taking control of their communities without leadership across the world.

Covering community self-organisation to ground-level politics and activism this exhibition aims to consoldiate this momentus global social change. It is an exhibition of photographs and information about positive global movements and the technology that supports them with video screenings followed by discussions.

We would like to invite you to be part of the exhibition, either by giving a presentation yourself, or if not possible, by supplying us with photographs and information about yours or other's related projects.

Call 07881990631 or mail teresateran at hotmail.com to contribute.

-----------
12th Feb - Radio Nadezhda

Not got any write up for this event yet but look out for further details in the next mail out or one the website. Basically you are invite to be both audience and participants in a live radio show that will be kind of a variety show with video, performance, discussion, quizzes, poetry etc. You can either come to the rampART where the hall will be transformed into an oversized studio or listen in via the internet stream.

-----------
13th to 17th Feb - conscious fashion week

The previous mail contained full information about this DIY alternative to next months official london fashion week going.

If you want to get involved contact consciousfashion at gmail.com or visit www.conscious-fashion.co.nr

-----------
18th - 22rd Feb - Kartoffelkopf, an experimental audience-activated sculpture.

Five days of events encompass the Kartoffelkopf. Full details closer to the date.

Opening Night, Friday 18th February 8pm till late.
Monster Mash experimental music night, Saturday 19th 8pm till late.
Mish Mash open submission Film night, Sunday 20th 7pm till 11pm.
Still Life drawing class, Monday 21st 7pm till 10pm.
Closing Night, Tuesday 22nd 8pm till late.

Starting from a provided ‘bare base’, visitors are invited to attach objects they have found or created. Inspired by the Mr. Potato Head toy, the object will grow and sprout ‘features’ during the five days. This cumulative art piece is an attempt at bringing fluid dialogue into the creative process, with contributions hopefully being verbal as much as physical. Visitors are encouraged to document, in some way, the progress of the developing structure – the results being displayed on the walls surrounding the work.

Contact kartoffelkopf at ernst-travois.org.uk

---------
WISH LISH

It's been a long time since we published a wish list but people have been asking if we need anything and so rather than make this email even longer we've put a wish list on the website.