[pagan-magik] RE: Anthony..Mama coca

raga woods raga_woods at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:02:15 BST 2005

Please be aware of the visit of Anthony Henman who wrote MAMA COCA in
1978....still current in relation to the onslaught on the indigenous
populations of Latin America and the outrageous mis-information that is fed
to us in the West.
Please do all you can to spread this info about his talks and if you want
more specific info get back to me.

>This is an overview of Anthoy's book, published in 1978, from the cover.

He will be speaking at Unity Works, next to Hackney Wick Station. Sat. July
23ed. Call Olivia, 07976 350 505

At Project 142, 142 Lea Bridge Rd, Hackney, on Sunday eve, the following
day, just go along for the regular Sun eve party-gathering. This Sunday is
going into Day Out Of Time with Paradox.
if you really have to...... call Dave, 079 505 009 79

and we hope at LARC in Whitechapel on Tuesday eve. Call Terasa of Latin
American Network to check  0788 199 0631

>Mama Coca.
>
>'With all the noteriety currently associated with cocaine, it is perhaps
>surprising to note how little attention has been directed at the coca leaf
>itself - source of illicit white powder - and particularly at the real, as
>opposed to merely sensational, dimensions of the cocaine industry and the
>so called 'war on drugs' in S America
>Being conceived as a quest for the mythological spirit which resides within
>the coca bush,' Mama Coca' is both an indicment of the monopolization of
>the cocaine traffic by the reactionary security forces, and a passionate
>defence of the habit of chewing coca leaves in their natural, unrefined
>state. The book first examines the overall cultural and economic history of
>coca in the Andes, and then concentrates on the way the plant is
>cultivated, prepared and consumed by one particular group of coca adepts,
>the Paez Indians of Cauca, Colombia.
>The book is a libertarian analysis of the role of coca in the broader
>context of Paez magical and medicinal practices, and an understanding of
>its significance in the struggle which these Indians are currently waging
>in defence of their land and their cultural integrity.'
>
>The book is now out of print, but i believe Anthony is working on an a new
>version.
>For anyone interested in coca as a herb the book contains a botanical study
>and explores many misconceptions and claims. Totally fascinating.
>Maybe some sections could be photocopied.
>Anyway, Anthony would be interested to share some current information about
>the situation as it is now developing in 2005.
He lives in Peru and is an anthropologist. This is an opportunity to see
what lies behind the  reality management we are offered by the US gov.