[Pip] Creative, political, workshops for nxt years Peace in the Park

Benjamin Major complexitybenjamin at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:37:04 BST 2005

Hello

First thing; did anyone post out those minutes for the meeting we had last
week?

Second thing; does anybody want an informal meet to discuss further things
like; having a showcase day where we have an exhibition of previous Peace in
the Parks, have some PitP-themed activities, and try and garner some new
happy young volunteers? And to discuss the ideas below as well perhaps.

Now. A few dreams...

I have been talking to someone who has done a bit of set-design, and I think
they would be happy to do do some Peace in the Park workshops. We already
have people who are willing to donate time to share DJing skills. We have Jo
and Daisy who may if we're lucky still be happy to do dancing workshops! I
am sure there will be one person or two (4 example from Jamboree) who can do
performance art stuff...

YES! I think we have the will and energy to bring together the workshops
that will in turn create a small show perfomed by Sheffield children for the
festival next year... just 45 minutes, on the main stage...

I think I also have a story to tell. Peace in the Park is rarely overly
political these days, and this is a good thing in many respects- it makes
for approachable event- and I really believe it and the lantern carnival are
the most progressive things happening in Sheffield each summer. But we also
run the risk sometimes of being too fluffly that the title Peace is rendered
meaningless. The world is evidently not in peace or anywhere near like it
and it is because of a veritable haystack of conflicting and interlocking
factors; economic depression, ecological devestation, shortages of water,
oil, oppression of free movement- and a noble effort to help one can upset
the balance of another in ways we do not expect. I think Peace in the Park
has room to tell more stories. To link to real things- like Pete mentioned
in the meeting I think, making a link to the arms trade is one way...

Recently I have been involved in No-Borders actions, campaigning for free
movement and an end to forced deportation and detention for no crime...
There is a link to be made here. And it's a really interesting one to tell
and to allow people to understand...

'Join the Army! Invade a country, create destruction, terror and a stream of
refugees; persecute those who flee to your country; make money out of them;
deport them back to the mess you've created. Then: start again.' Many of the
people who have been claiming asylum in Britain since 2000 are from
Afghanistan and Iraq, both countries that Britain has been attacking over
the last 4 years. In fighting wars to defend the global order western
countries play a major part in producing refugees. Over the last three years
Afghani and Iraqi refugees have been increasingly forced back into their
countries as the British government claims they are now safe, despite the
foreign office giving directly contradictory information and advising
British nationals against travelling to these very same countries...

To make this connection between escaping the raging of wars and the arrival
of many refugees across our borders- that is a story to tell. A story of
sending troops off to war, selling arms, earlier; the building of nation
states in the first place, preaching the notion of democracy and civil
rights... while the resulting migrants of such unrest are treated here on
British shores like they have no rights at all, even facing the danger of
having their children taken away from them under section 9 (to mention just
one example).

In December I am heading off to Jordan to take part in a project at a
childrens village in the town of Aqaba, working with orphan refugees. I am
then travelling towards the occupied lands of Palestine where borders are a
unremitting fact of everyday life- here I hope to find some inspiring,
grassroots projects where there is an effort to promote self-determination
and active participation, and to struggle peacefully in adversity to the
grim reality they face...

I would love, whilst there, to find some responses as to what borders mean
in peoples daily life, and if they could imagine a more peaceful life
without the borders that block them in. Then to exchange and compare these
views with those who are closer to home- children in our very own community.

The questions the workshop sessions and the final peformance would raise
would be based around are- where do refugees come from? why do we send
people off to war? why do we have borders? Do borders serve to ease conflict
or do they more likely create it? if wars and refugees are so related then
is it fair to send people back to the countries where we have created war
even if we can't guarantee their safety? The questions will be explored
exactly as that- questions, to explore the themes in a balanced way is
enough because, I believe, if the issues are explained correctly and not in
media-speak, most people will come to the same conclusions as I.

So, a no-borders play/dance/music performance is what I propose. Putting the
politics back into Peace in the Park, but, I hope, without comprimising its
fluffiness.

Let me know anyone who wants to help me organize this- it's a big jumbled
mess in my mind at the moment. Here are some links to funding orgranizations
for young peoples projects, most of which require us to be a charitable
organization with a constituiton and all...

Triodos Bank Foundation -
www.triodos.co.uk/uk/about-triodos/organisation/foundation - they have
limited funds but do look at social, environmental and cultural projects
that benefit the community as a whole.

Ragdoll Foundation - www.ragdollfoundation.org.uk - projects, activities or
events which promte the education and development of young children (0-8)
through the arts.

Paristamen Foundation - small yorkshire based grant making trust - they like
projects rather than events though. email admin at paristamen.org.uk for
application details.

Woodward Charitable Trust - www.woodwardcharitabletrust.org.uk - like to
give one-off grants in arts, community and social welfare(including
summerschemes for kids), disability and health, education and environment.
Up to a max of £5K

Local Network Fund for Children and Young People - details are on  South
Yorkshire Community Forum website - www.sycf.org.uk - they have different
criteria for funding - one of which is aspirations and new experiences for
children.  Another is Childrens Voices.

VAS (Voluntary Action Sheffield) may be of help in identifying other sources
or accessing community chest funding.  Also try South Yorkshire Funding
Advice Bureau - they are on the internet if you search.