[rga-u] Reading Grassroots Action update - 20th March

Reading Grassroots Action - updates rga-u at lists.aktivix.org
Fri Mar 20 16:03:22 GMT 2009

RGA Update - 20th March 2009

Welcome to the first update for Reading Grassroots Action! For more news from RGA please visit www.rgacollective.org.uk

To kick off this update, we are pleased to announce that RGA have become the newest branch of national organisation Liberty & Solidarity! Check out www.libertyandsolidarity.org for info.

Locally, here's what we are up to:

* Gardening! Yep, we will soon see the victory of our 2 year squatted community garden campaign in Silver Street! We are working with Katesgrove Residents Association to create a legal community garden and the council have finally just sent the lease through. So we have land. It's in Elgar Road and next to a pub - perfect! If you'd like to be involved, get in touch! Beyond that...

* RGA members have recently helped set up the Reading branch of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW - www.iww.org). IWW is the fighting union for all workers, independent and member run. No fat cat union bosses, no sell out deals - just solidarity and a will to win!

* New project in the pipeline! We will soon be setting up a coalition to fight on issues of housing and homelessness, debt and welfare inspired by groups such as the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (www.ocap.org) and London Coalition Against Poverty (www.lcap.org.uk). Again, if you're interested, get in touch!

* But if you can't wait for the action, we've also been getting ready for the upcoming protests at the G20 summit in London. The G20 - the politicians and business leaders from around the world who are doing their best to screw everything up - are meeting to discuss the economic crisis. Ironic eh? Protests will be taking place all week - see www.putpeoplefirst.org.uk and www.g-20meltdown.org for details.

Upcoming events:

* 21 March - Organising meeting for Anarchist Movement Conference 09. 1pm at Freedom Bookshop, off Whitechapel High Street, East London (http://www.conference09.org.uk/)
* 22 March - Shop Stewards Network - workplace organising conference. 10am to 3pm at the Somers Town Community Centre, 150 Ossulston Street, London NW1 1EE.
* 28 March - Put People First protest, starting at Embankment (http://www.putpeoplefirst.org.uk/). We will be joining the 'Militant Workers Block' - look for the blue banner and the red and black flags.
* 1-2 April - G20 action (http://www.g-20meltdown.org/)