[sas-announce] 20th December - Disney protest

David Broder david_communist at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 15:48:07 GMT 2005

    Hi everyone

  There's going to be another Students Against Sweatshops protest at the Disney store on Oxford Street (it's near Bond Street tube) on Tuesday 20th December.

  The last one was really good, and just before Christmas we'll be able to get our message across to more and more Disney customers who are buying toys for their kids - it'll make them think more about the issue of child labour. We got a fair few signatures on our petition last time, so this kind of thing can also help build up our contact lists.

  Disney uses sweatshops to produce clothes, toys and other merchandise. Pay and conditions are of course terrible - Vietnamese workers earn 8 cents an hour, for up to 112 hours a week working. Overtime is compulsory and union activity is supressed, often with the help of the police.

  They've also used the labour of kids as young as 12. Even their corporate website admits they use 14 year olds. This is particularly bad coming from a company with an image of caring about kids.

  We'll be meeting at midday at Bond Street tube station. Please bring any Disney costumes etc. you may have so we can take the piss out of their family-friendly image...

  Hope to see you there - please get in touch if you have any questions
  David