[sas-announce] Disney protest

David Broder david_communist at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 02:32:54 GMT 2005

Hi everyone

  We had another good protest on Saturday morning against Disney's use of child+sweatshop labour.

  Leafletting, masks, chanting, petitions etc. as usual - John Awty's singing once again proved to be our secret weapon.

  Well, ok, perhaps our main tactical weapon was actually the fact that Disney employ 12-year old kids and pay their un-unionised workers just a few pennies a day, so they're quite easy for us to attack...

  Main differences from last time :-

  * More SAS activists (and different people!)
  * When we arrived, two policemen were already there waiting for us, and chatting to the Disney boss. When the first three of us went towards the shop, the policeman asked "Are you here for the protest?" (!) - good to see that people are reading our website (or possibly this e-list).
  When we said that we weren't going to do anything particularly riotous, they called for another 2 policemen.... however, only 2 of these 4 had to stand in the cold for two and a half hours staring at us.
  * We handed out many more leaflets (always a good sign!)
  * We put stickers on the windows, just to piss them off a bit more.
  * Some guy came up to us, said something like "well done guys" and gave us a metre-long, 1.2kg box of chocolates as a reward. Hmmm... very suspicious. Having eaten many of them, I'm still alive, so they probably weren't poisoned.

  What we need to do next time
  * Talk to the workers inside the store about joining a trade union

  Any other ideas?

  Regards
  David