[sas-announce] Perdue Hunger Strike Ends after 26 Days

Heather Shaw centre_stage_red at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 10:01:35 GMT 2006

  Perdue Hunger Strike ends after 26 days. Capaign Continues unabated!

  The Strikers issued this satement:

  While President Jischke has chosen to ignore the will of students, faculty and the community in Lafayette and the support of workers around the world, this campaign is not over. While the hunger strike has ended after more than 26 days, we are stronger than ever. Students and workers are going to continue the fight for the Designated Suppliers Proposal until it is adopted.
  Many tangible things have been won by the hunger strike. First, awareness of these issues both on Purdue’s campus and in the entire higher education community has increased tenfold. More than 70 stories have been printed on Purdue’s refusal to live up to its own obligations. From Chicago to Los Angeles awareness of this issue has increased tremendously. Nationwide, the campaign to ensure that university logoed apparel is made with respect for workers’ rights is as strong as it’s ever been.
  Second, while the university continues to move at a glacial pace while workers are in peril every day, the university is moving. Purdue has committed to at least take part in the process of adopting a system that works. By March 21st Purdue will have had the opportunity to participate in the DSP working group and should have the necessary information to proceed with adoption. Our standing demand right now is that by March 21st Purdue adopt and implement the DSP.
  Finally, the Purdue student body has been emboldened to act on this issue. Every day more and more students come by and ask how they can get involved in this fight. Every semester that this campaign has gone on, its gotten stronger and stronger. Since President Jischke won’t listen to 16 hunger strikers now, he’s going to be dealing with hundreds in his office next semester. You’ll be seeing us at the Board of Trustees meeting this Friday and Saturday. You’ll be seeing us at graduation. And you can better believe you’ll be seeing a lot more of us come spring semester.
  While it’s unfortunate that Purdue refuses to listen at this time it’s more important to remember that its really the students and the workers which make a university run. In the end justice wins out, and in the end Purdue will adopt the DSP. Thank you.

"Years ago I recognised my kinship with living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free"
Eugene Debs, US Presidential Candidate 1920

www.redheff.livejournal.com