[sas-announce] anti-sweatshop week of action

Josh Robinson jmr59 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 17:12:07 GMT 2006

[please forward as appropriate]

Planning meeting for the Students Against Sweatshops week of action

No Sweat Steering Committee
Sunday 15 January
12 - 3pm
Upstairs in the Lucas Arms, Gray's Inn Road, London
(nearest tube: Kings Cross)
All welcome.

It would be great to get lots of people there: please come along!

Josh
--
First national student week of action against sweatshops:

Saturday 11 - Saturday 18 Feb 2006

No Sweat and Students Against Sweatshops will be co-ordinating actions,
discussions, film shows, alternative fashion events and speaker tours
during the first ever national week of action against sweatshops, 11-18
February 2006. The week of action is being backed by the National Union of
Students (NUS).

Speaker tours will include a representative of the workers' committee
which runs the occupied Zanon factory in Argentina plus film showings of
Naomi Klein's The Take (about the factory occupation movement)

No Sweat can also offer/arrange speakers and film showings on: the 'Gas
and Water wars' in Boliva; on how to support the new unions in Iraq; on
the fight against Haiti's sweatshops; on Arcadia's record (Top Shop etc);
about Tesco, Wal Mart and the supermarket bosses.

Plus No Sweat/SAS speakers, films etc We invite student activists to make
plans and contact us. We can help you set up events on your campus.

Why not find some bands to do Rock Against Sweatshops gigs, hold meetings,
film and fashion shows to highlight the issues?

We are giving each day during this week a theme, so why not think about
actions you can do locally. We will have leaflets/fact-sheets etc to
download form our site to help you along:

Monday 13 February
Day of actions against Arcadia group (Top Shop etc)

Tuesday 14 February
Valentines Day: day of local actions against Nike

Wednesday 15 February
Call for campus actions for sweat-free campuses. We will be circulating a
letter-petition demanding for sweat-free campuses (covering college
merchandise, purchasing and employment rights and wages of cleaners,
security and other college staff).
Plus a public meeting/fundraiser at London cinema: The Rex in Soho with
Naomi Kleins film, The Take, plus Argentinean-Zanon speaker etc)

Thursday 16 February
Day of actions against Tesco
London public meeting/rally

Friday 17 February
Hand in sweat-free campus letter-petition to Vice Chancellors HQ at 20
Tavistock Square London WC1

Saturday 18 February
Review meeting for those that have organised actions locally, to make a
balance sheet and get a better outline of how we run the second week of
action during 2007.

Various No Sweat Briefings are currently available. Others and being
written and will be turned into fact-sheets - all available, plus
leaflets, from January.