[Shef2venez] Colombia - Venezuela

John Smith johncsmith at btinternet.com
Mon May 30 01:37:39 BST 2005

SOLIDARITY DELEGATION TO COLOMBIA AND VENEZUELA August 2005

A delegation of students and human rights activists will be in Colombia for
a week ( 31st July - 6th August), prior to  the World Festival of Youth and
Students taking place in Caracas, Venezuela (7th-15th August).

In Bogotá, we will be visiting trade unions, human rights and women
organisations, the barrios and prisoners from the department of Arauca, to
strengthen our links with these groups and plan with them solidarity and
accompaniment projects for the future.

>From Bogotá, we will travel to the department of Arauca, which borders on
Venezuela.  We will accompany Colombian students, artists, trade unionists
and human rights defenders to attend, on 5th August, a commemoration event
for the first anniversary of the massacre of three trade union leaders in
the department. There we will also participate in a Social and Humanitarian
Crisis Forum in the municipality of Saravena, to support the right of our
Colombian partners to social protest and freedom of expression.

Finally, we will be joining a caravan of Colombian youth and students and
other international delegations to the festival in Caracas. At the WFYS,
Colombia Solidarity Campaign (member of the British Preparatory Committee to
the WFYS), Sinaltrainal (the Colombian Food and Drink Workers Union) and the
India Resource Centre will be presenting a seminar on the 'International
Boycott of Coca-Cola: reasons and strategies'.

We would like to invite you to join us in this delegation from 31sJuly to
15tAugust to Colombia and Venezuela.

How much? Allow £650 for flights only to Colombia and £750 if returning from
Caracas, plus a further £150 contribution towards expenses (transport and
food). For those attending the WFYS, £100 registration and accommodation
fees are payable to the British Preparatory Committee.

Simple accommodation during our time in Colombia is being arranged for us by
Sinaltrainal and other organisations.

Objectives

To show our solidarity with and to learn from Colombian social movements in
Bogotá and Arauca.
To promote the worldwide campaign for just treatment of workers and
communities by Coca-Cola Corporation.
To celebrate internationalism and participate in the World Festival of Youth
and Students.

Guidelines

There will be at least one preparatory meeting for all delegates.
We will work together as a disciplined, collective delegation respecting the
guidance from our host organisations on security matters.
On our return we will share our experiences and continue campaigning.

For more information, please email:  HYPERLINK
"mailto:colombia_sc at hotmail.com"colombia_sc at hotmail.com

COLOMBIA SOLIDARITY WEEKEND

18 and 19 June 2005 Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, London WC1 (Nearest tube:
Holborn)

Day School Saturday 18 June 2005

11am: Privatisation, Repression and Resistance in Public Universities
Juan Pablo Ochoa (Colombian Student activist)
Lara Coleman (Universidad Viva Campaign)

12am: Communities in Resistance
Juan Carlos Galvis (Vice President CUT Barrancabermeja and Human Rights
Director, Sinaltrainal)
Juan Pablo Ochoa and Andy Dockett.

1-2pm: Lunch will be available in Conway Hall.

2pm: The Multinationals in Colombia: Coca-Cola and BP
Juan Carlos Galvis (plaintiff in US court case against CC)
Marta Hinestroza (Lawyer communities destroyed by BP)

3.30pm: Rebirth of the Social Movement across the Andes
Speakers on Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela

Sunday 19 June 2005 AGM
11am. The AGM of the Colombia Solidarity Campaign will take place in Conway
Hall with a prompt starting time of 11am.
We aim to be finished by 3pm. Members and Affiliated Organisations only.
Lunch will be available.

Conway Hall is fully wheelchair accessible.

----------------
§ Register for Dayschool place £4/£2 waged/unwaged        [...]

§ To join the Campaign. £7.50/£15 unwaged/waged individuals; £30/£60/£120
organisations         [...]

§ Appeal to open an office and launch a new bulletin in the coming year.
Donation                   [...]

Send with cheque payable to 'Colombia Solidarity Campaign', returning to:

Colombia Solidarity Campaign, PO Box 8446, London N17 6NZ.
 HYPERLINK
"http://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk/"www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk e-mail
HYPERLINK "mailto:colombia_sc at hotmail.com"colombia_sc at hotmail.com