[sheffield-hacklab] Re: sheffield-hacklab] Hacklab 3/11/2005 - EON 4000

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Jan 11 13:34:30 GMT 2006

http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/sheffield-hacklab/2005-November/000044.html
> .
>
> on this message you say that you have 'hacked' the eon 4000 in order to boot
> from a linux distribution. I'm tring to do the same (i'd
> like to use it as a firewall installing m0n0wall) but i did not find a way
> to boot it from the IDE socket. Have you some document
> or can you help me to configure the motherboard to boot it using external
> CD/HD ?

I haven't do anything since then... but

I hooked a preinstalled ubunbtu HDD ( set as master ) onto the IDE socket

I got into the bios ( either del or f10 or backspace key, at boot, i think )

set the boot device to C:

and it booted.

I was going to try some of the things here
http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/DiskOnChip/diskonchip.html

I managed to load some of the modules but didn't manage to mount the DOC
device.

My next plan was to use Debian rather than ubuntu and backtrack to a 2.4
kernel.

Hope it helps

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily