[sheffield-noborders] Urgent: Kurdish community under threat in Sheffield

stuart crosthwaite stuartqqqq at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 18:57:52 BST 2005

Hello,

Many of the 2000 Iraqi Kurds in Sheffield face a renewed threat of deportation.

>From 28th August all "failed" asylum seekers from the Kurdish area of Iraq, currently living in Sheffield, will be required to report monthly to local police stations or face arrest.

The government has already declared its intention to forcibly deport thousands of Iraqi Kurds.  It is currently claiming (amazingly) that Kurdish areas of Iraq are now "safe" to return to.  We fear that this monthly reporting system will be used to capture and forcibly deport people.  There is understandable fear in the Kurdish community about this prospect.

The Kurdish community in Burngreave, supported by local activists, has called a meeting to discuss the new threat and our response to it.  We are holding a meeting on Sunday 21st August, 2pm at the Kurdish Community Centre on Verdon Street in Pitsmoor.  Please come to the meeting and tell other people about it.

Stuart Crosthwaite