[sheffield-noborders] Changes to Certifictae of Approval Scheme

Catherine Tonge katieplum75 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 12:09:02 BST 2007

Hello

  Thought people might find this useful. There is good and bad news on the Certificate of Approval Scheme - the scheme where anyone 'subject to immigration control' has to ask the Home Secretary's permission to get married.

  The two key points that I can see are:

  1) If you were refused a Certificate of Approval before June 19th this year because you didn't have enough leave to remian, then you can reapply and will be considered again.

  2) Currently if you wnat to get married in an Anglican church in England or Wales (Church of England/Church of Wales) you don't need a Certificate of Approval. However, soon the law will change and you will need one.

  I've attached a document with the changes which isfrom the Home Office website
  http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/generalcaseworking/coaformarriageorcivilpartnership

  Catherine