[sheffieldagainstwar-tech] Web site software and hosting

cc at riseup.net cc at riseup.net
Fri Jul 9 17:05:48 BST 2004

Hi

On Fri 09-Jul-2004 at 03:40:11PM +0100, Jase wrote:

> Thanks for migrating the lists and stuff Chris, do you
> think the aktivix lists are more reliable than riseup?

Um, probably not...

> This relates to the STW announcement list cos at the
> moment only me and Steve can post, it took an age to get
> me on it, and recently it was down for several days with
> no explanation on site (apart from saying they had major
> problems earlier in the month)

Well these are two different issues, adding who can post
to a list should not be a big deal, why was it in this
case?

I have no doubt that their downtime was caused by a good
reason and lists.aktivix.org will no doubt have downtimes
in the future for good reasons also...

So I would say that for new political lists use riseup...
but unless an existing one is hosted by a commercial
provider (eg Yahoo Groups) there is not much point in
migrating to AktiviX...

> On the site, would it be possible to have a "Sheffield
> Stop the War Coalition" frontpage with a sheffield
> against war wiki as the rest of the site, or as e.g.
> wiki.sheffieldagainstwar.org - as with the SSF. This is
> because not a lot of people are actively involved in the
> STWC at the mo' and many that are would want the site to
> be 'on message' as it were. Having a broad anti-war wiki
> with news, resources and links which we could invite all
> to contribute to would be great (and the only useful
> thing to do I think) but may have to be seperated from
> the 'official' site.

Well, this suggestion does fit in with my latest idea of
using Plone... we could have /wiki for the wiki...

> Will have on the agenda for the 28th July meeting.
>
> Whatever think it could do with a shake-up so cheers
> muchly,

No problemo, but it's probably not going to happen very
fast... :-)

Chris